what should it cost

GoldenMotor.com

BurntPain

May 8, 2022
I am needing to know whats a motorized trike cost to build. I supply frame and bought motor. so how much should it cost, even if you run into a few obstacles?

Reactions: fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I am needing to know whats a motorized trike cost to build. I supply frame and bought motor. so how much should it cost, even if you run into a few obstacles?
Does the trike use a differential? What kind of braking system does it have? Is it a multi speed or single speed? What kind of safety equipment do you want? What kind of performance are you expecting? Do you want your dream build all at once or do you plan to add when you can afford to do so? These are the kind of factors to consider when estimating cost.

BurntPain

May 8, 2022
Does the trike use a differential? What kind of braking system does it have? Is it a multi speed or single speed? What kind of safety equipment do you want? What kind of performance are you expecting? Do you want your dream build all at once or do you plan to add when you can afford to do so? These are the kind of factors to consider when estimating cost.
It has disc brakes. And performance wise in I want it to keep up with traffic. Not on the freeway but city streets. So 35 to 45 mph. It's a no speed because I am handicapped. So I took the cranks off. So just with that what should I be looking to spend?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
And what is differential. Excuse my ignorance.
A differential allows the rear wheels to spin at two different speeds. This enables you to move at higher speeds when making turns.

BurntPain

May 8, 2022
A differential allows the rear wheels to spin at two different speeds. This enables you to move at higher speeds when making turns.

Again excuse my ignorance. But how would they move at 2 different speeds when they are on 1 axle. And do you haver any idea as to what a build should cost.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Again excuse my ignorance. But how would they move at 2 different speeds when they are on 1 axle. And do you haver any idea as to what a build should cost.
It isn't a solid axle. A differential has a slip gear that when met with resistance will cause one wheel to turn at slower rate. That way the wheel to the inside of a curve spins at a slower rate than the wheel to the outside of the curve similar to what's in a car.

Cost wise you could have a build for as little as $500 with very basic performance levels and safety features. Or you could have a decent build for $2000+.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Trikes do not do well on streets with a crown which most have. They are unstable at high speed and I'd venture a guess that city road speeds your ability to stay on the road would overcome and not in a nice way. A differential overcomes the bad handling from one wheel drive but not enough to allow much over 20mph at best.

Taking your pedals off a bicycle makes it a motorcycle and unless you have a motorcycle license and insurance you can be fined. Since your bicycle trike doesn't have a vehicle manufacturers build plate and vin number you can't register it as a motorcycle.

What does it cost? What ever you spend on it. Stanton Inc, has kits to add a motor to a trike. Probably the easiest way out.

Steve.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Leaning trikes can enable you to travel at higher speeds but will cost even more money. Keeping your speed between 20-30 mph will allow you to deal with most city traffic.

BurntPain

May 8, 2022
Trikes do not do well on streets with a crown which most have. They are unstable at high speed and I'd venture a guess that city road speeds your ability to stay on the road would overcome and not in a nice way. A differential overcomes the bad handling from one wheel drive but not enough to allow much over 20mph at best.

Taking your pedals off a bicycle makes it a motorcycle and unless you have a motorcycle license and insurance you can be fined. Since your bicycle trike doesn't have a vehicle manufacturers build plate and vin number you can't register it as a motorcycle.

What does it cost? What ever you spend on it. Stanton Inc, has kits to add a motor to a trike. Probably the easiest way out.

Steve.
I just want to thank you guys for telling me like it is. I have insurance for my trike but I don't have a motorcycle license. Cause my disability doesn't allow me to ride anything with less than 3 wheels. I couldn't hold a bicycle up so I don't even want to try a motorcycle. Which brings me to this Am I just wasting my time and money on my trike. Cause the more I listen to everything. It sounds to me like I shouldn't even get out of my house. I hate to say that. But I should have investigated this whole motorized bike thing out more in depth than I did. Feeling beaten sucks. But thats how I am feeling right about now. I think they should have some kinda different version of the law for the disabled in this situation. Not a get out of jail free card. But something that makes it easier for the disabled. Don't i deserve a chance to ride with you guys. Even if I can't do it on 2 wheels?

BurntPain

May 8, 2022
It isn't a solid axle. A differential has a slip gear that when met with resistance will cause one wheel to turn at slower rate. That way the wheel to the inside of a curve spins at a slower rate than the wheel to the outside of the curve similar to what's in a car.

Cost wise you could have a build for as little as $500 with very basic performance levels and safety features. Or you could have a decent build for $2000+.
Well you are right cause I got a decent basic build for $1000. I enjoy the ride even if it's not as fast as I thought it would be. It atleast gets me outside. Which was definantly not fun with a wheelchair. I am going to run the tank out of gas and look at this motorized bike thing much more in depth. Cause I want to enjoy my rides. And I can't do that looking way down the street because it may be the police and I'm not riding legal. I am thinking I need to look into electric trikes. Just want to thank you and Steve for shooting straight with your advice and directions. Like it or not I need to hear the facts about the motorized bike life.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
There are options. Recumbent trike is one, with two wheels in front and one in the rear. My mobility issues won't allow me to use one since you lay back in it and your legs and feet are straight out. Another one is a tadpole trike like the recumbent but you sit on it like a normal bike. May be hard to find one used but I'd look on your local Craigslist or Facebook Market Place.

Other option is Aliexpress. I use them a lot. You receive the item and then they hold the money for 75 days. If you have a problem with what has been sent they won't pay them until it's resolved. I've never had a complaint so I don't know how that works. Join Aliexpress, I put in "adult trikes" in the search. I'll put one that I found below. Click on the company name at the top and it will give you all the information about the company. I picked this one since it had been on Aliexpress since 2017 and had a strong satisfaction rating. Free shipping but it's by ship so it will take a while to get here. You've about the slow boat to china but it works both ways.

This bike is a cargo bike with a box on the front of it. Most of the ones listed have them. I'd get the pedal model since the electric ones are made for the European market and have 250w motors and add an electric hub motor and a good battery. LiitoKala Official Store on Aliexpress sells good batteries and battery cells if you want to build your own. I'd just buy one ready made. Make sure you add {Company Store}. Lots of resellers so you need to be careful.

The link I post may have the Canadian price listed. U.S. price will be about 25% less. Check to make sure.

With the two wheels in front you won't have problems with the crown in the road and they tend to be more stable.

Came up with the Canadian price. U.S. price is $1,150. Shows it before you click on it. Now says you have to check with them for shipping costs. No longer free shipping.

Steve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You could build a standard minibike with predator 212cc and a solid rear axle off a go-kart. When you turn, the weight transfer to the outside will allow the inside tire to slip. If you go fast enough of course. Outside of stuff like this, a bicycle trike is built for 20mph max. Perhaps a regular motorbike with a sidecar?

Attachments