what it is bro?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay quick background. I bought this engine on ebay and it didn't run just right. I tried to adjust the carb and it didn't do any better so I put on a new carb I had laying around. I do mean new not just an old one that was new to the engine.

Does the same thing. I put a hole in the muffler just in case it needed a better vent. Same thing.

I can get it to start no sweat. It will rev up... Sometimes it will take off and run great. Then for no real reason it will bog down. Sometimes I can let off the throttle a little and it will take off again and not do it for a while. Then when I throttle up later it will bog down. I let off and sometimes it will take off again and sometimes it will just keep dragging along. Two minutes later I varry the throttle and it takes off again.

I would think it was something I did except that it did it with both carbs. Maybe it's a leaky manifold gasket. I need to see if the manifold gasket is there cause come to think of it, I might have seen a piece of gasket laying on the ground outside the shop. I have torn apart so many engines it might have nothing to do with it though.

So what it is bro.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wonder if it could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. I did reuse the old one when I changed the gas tank. If that was the original problem it would still be the problem.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
ON the side of the Ryobi 790r there is a allen head bolt- black and different from all the other bolts on the damn thing- Mine was loose and had a lot of the same issues your describing, when it got really loose my engine would start up, race and then die.

One I figured out the issue I tightened that down and man she's been sweet to me ever since.

On the gas cap issue- do you have the original ryobi cap? he stock cap is black and yellow, tightened down there is a really nice venting system that works well.

Did you check your: fuel lines, bulb etc? I've read alot on here about those being the source of some major issues with the weedwackers.