What holds the clutch lever in???

GoldenMotor.com

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
im asking this because while riding today i tried to engage my clutch only to find I didnt have one. After stalling to a stop I saw that the clutch lever had came up enough where it didnt work, i pushed it back in about five times before getting home. ok so Im at the house and take the sprocket cover off. Hey ove got a empty hole on the inside of the cover and metal shavings everywhere. Anyways the cover is broken now because i tried to screw a oversized screw into aluminum (DUH) so I need one with screw if anyone wants to get rid of one.

Ill pay paypal cause I need it ASAP. Thanx

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am getting one...when it arrives, I'll ship you my old one.

I know, that's not going to help you right away though.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
............the clutch lever had came up enough where it didnt work,...... got a empty hole on the inside of the cover and metal shavings everywhere. Anyways the cover is broken now because i tried to screw a oversized screw into aluminum (DUH) so I need one with screw if anyone wants to get rid of one........
WTF? Need a better description.

I have a cover, screws, lever and cam pin I can send you .....but can you take pictures? I think you may have issues.

The threaded portion in the engine is stripped?

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
WTF? Need a better description.

I have a cover, screws, lever and cam pin I can send you .....but can you take pictures? I think you may have issues.

The threaded portion in the engine is stripped?
The cog cover that the clutch lever sits in. Theres a retaining pin, screw. I dont know but it came out and got caught up in my chain cog. Since it was ground down to shavings i tried to screw a oversized screw into the hole where the pin goes that keeps the lever from coming out. This only made it worse and cracked the cover, making it impossible to use it even if I did have the retaining pin.

:(

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Well you remain The Man. I was just thinking you are waiting for your clutch kit, and I already have my old parts just sitting in the shop which I'm trying to clean....

No address yet, though.

brown bull

Nov 16, 2008
pittsburgh
im asking this because while riding today i tried to engage my clutch only to find I didnt have one. After stalling to a stop I saw that the clutch lever had came up enough where it didnt work, i pushed it back in about five times before getting home. ok so Im at the house and take the sprocket cover off. Hey ove got a empty hole on the inside of the cover and metal shavings everywhere. Anyways the cover is broken now because i tried to screw a oversized screw into aluminum (DUH) so I need one with screw if anyone wants to get rid of one.

Ill pay paypal cause I need it ASAP. Thanx
The same exact thing happened to me today (very frustrating) and I was able to get home by keeping the bike in gear as much as possible, because the arm stays down when it's in gear.

I took off the cover and didn't see any fastener or pin in the hole which should have a pin. Without some type of pin, the arm can just ride up, unless there's a lot of tension in the clutch cable.

This thread went off track and recommended everyone buy an upgraded arm from creative engineering, which I just did today. However, can anyone suggest a fix that doesn't involve purchasing this upgrade? I bought my MB used, so I don't even know what type of pin is supposed to be in there.

Thanks!

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
I'm not sure what size pin it is. On my cover there is just a dab of RTV? holding the pin in. I would suggest for an immediate fix to take the cover with clutch arm to a hardware store and getting a rolled pin that will fit the hole with just a bit of resistance.

Check the depth with a piece of wire then grind the rolled pin to length and carefully push it in.

Don't get a pin too large a diameter or it will break the housing. Just some resistance when pushing it in. It shouldn't take much to hold it in. If it makes you feel better use Loctite.

The factory didn't use rolled pins cause they would cost .00002 ¢ more than the plain pin. I don't see a need to ever remove it.

Come to think of it, they probably used needle bearing pins from the rod bearings they didn't use!

Ted

Last edited:

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
I'm not sure what size pin it is. On my cover there is just a dab of RTV? holding the pin in. I would suggest for an immediate fix to take the cover with clutch arm to a hardware store and getting a rolled pin that will fit the hole with just a bit of resistance.

Check the depth with a piece of wire then grind the rolled pin to length and carefully push it in.

Don't get a pin too large a diameter or it will break the housing. Just some resistance when pushing it in. It shouldn't take much to hold it in. If it makes you feel better use Loctite.

The factory didn't use rolled pins cause they would cost .00002 ¢ more than the plain pin. I don't see a need to ever remove it.

Come to think of it, they probably used needle bearing pins from the rod bearings they didn't use!

Ted
So a dab of J.B. Weld will assure it never falls out then...:D

Loop

May 27, 2020
S.Knoxville
Had the same issue today, was putting in the new chain and lost the little pin, luckily I noticed it lying on the shed floor by the tire.