What do you think about this kind of motor?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V350W-DC-brush-gear-motor-MY1016Z3-/152613846770?

I'm just wondering about it= I probably won't be doing anything with it- I have hub motors.
I'm thinking though it would be good mounted inside the frame like a China Girl 2 cycle.
I believe by the specs in the blueprint that the lower mounting bracket is drilled to exactly fit the motor clamps of a China Girl-so strapping it to an older cruiser or diamond touring frame would be easy- running another chain down the left side. I queried the vendor who said the polarity can be reversed- so my main question is- How much peddling resistance do you think it has?

You could set it up with a rag joint and thinner sprocket- it has a sprock for 410 one speed bike chain, but would there be much pedal resistance?

What it truly needs is a hub and left threaded free wheel, to spin freely and only kick in the motor when it's engaged. I'm also unfamiliar with the speed and power of such a set-up and it might take experimentation to find the right size sprock on the back. I know they sell kits with side mounting brackets for this kind of thing, but I detest hanging weight off center. Probably put the battery/batteries on a rear rack, but a bottle might also be possible under a top tube.

The big advantage is that it's still 24 volts and so you could use a couple of scooter batteries at about 8-10 pounds for both, or even a 24v lithium ion is still much cheaper than higher voltage. Probably weigh much less than a China Girl- (no tank no exhaust, smaller motor lighter chain) and while it wouldn't perform like one- I'm getting old at 63, and no motor noise or fumes would be great too.

I have NO experience at this yet- I'm just steps away from having a 36 volt hub setup on the road, but stalled out , and have a lot to do the rest of summer. Yet I got an older Black and Decker 24 volt cordless mower early this summer for $10 and though I haven't replaced the batteries yet, I tested it with two car batts wired in series, and was amazed that the little 24 v motor really screamed. Seems like it could do a lot on a light bike. I only need 15 -20 mph and about six miles of charge to get me where I most go on the china girl builds. 8-9 pounds of lead acid scooter batteries is under $50 compared to 4 lbs litium ion 36 volts at $200 or more

So basically - do you think it has much pedal resistance if I just used a rag sprocket that rolled continually, or would that damage the motor?

Here's another one at 250 watts- thinner lighter than the one up above.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V250W-DC-...a1aebe3&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=152613846770

This one is 102 millimeters wide - not counting shaft and sprock and about 5 pounds in weight.
I think most cranks would clear but not sure of the other which is wider and heavier.

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Aw frick! I've looked at these motors on ebay for months and as soon as I post them here- the listing ends- All that's left now are motors without the china girl compatible mount! I smell Corporate Rat.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Aw frick! I've looked at these motors on ebay for months and as soon as I post them here- the listing ends- All that's left now are motors without the china girl compatible mount! I smell Corporate Rat.
I could fabricate the china girl mount. Where do you buy electric bike stuff. The controller, batteries, etc. What kind of be range and speed do electric bikes get.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The back mount - being a separate thing already- might be able to be used- the other range of adapters for the front may leave some good possibility, but I haven't explored this further yet.

I was just looking at the ones with the bottom plate and the china girl-wide drlling- the plates are FLAT- I'm not sure if just the bottom hardware could hold them on a round frame tube without some kind of plate adapter-

BUTT, they've begun to sell a "Bafang mid drive" model- using this kind of motor- perhaps I'll search the link at some time other than 6 32 am-

and THAT uses a large WORM CLAMP around the 4 inch main body then clamped to another smaller worm clamp around the bicycle down tube to hold the round plateless motor on- I wonder of the strength but apparently it works-

As for your last comment waynesdata, about range and speed- that's sorta what I came here to wonder. What kind of speed do these deliver? I'm hoping to put SOMETHING together using only 24 so I can test lead acid batteries in series for under $100 and not have to go $200-300 for ever voltage growing Li-po bottles and pillars.

I may eventually build a 26 inch mid frame- china girl style mount- just to see what it becomes, and use two 12 volt scooter batts on a back rack- the range would be limited by the size of those, but what of the speed? Do we really NEED the extra "gear reduction"- they always sell the others with a sprocket for a #25 frame- and if you try to buy a 24 volt wheel these days- it's over twice as much- they are trying to kill this with marketing and BS is my own fear.

I'm 64 and no longer wanting a lot of speed- my 700c does about 20 and the one currently building at 250 instead of 500 I'm still wondering- 15 to 18 I suppose- yet I can still pedal assist. If I can have 13 and get to the store with cheap scooter batteries- this might have some worth to me- I can't afford to fall off any more, so I might forsake the 700 wheels and build something lower to the ground. They all will probably have fair resell value. Gas won't be getting any cheaper and probably spike soon.