What Battery do I need?

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Depends on your goals. Whats she going to do with it? Every day a 10 mile trip? 4 times a week to the store 2 miles away? 2 miles on the flats or 10 miles with hills and a heavy load? Need more data!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Depends on your goals. Whats she going to do with it? Every day a 10 mile trip? 4 times a week to the store 2 miles away? 2 miles on the flats or 10 miles with hills and a heavy load? Need more data!
Flat roads, 2-3 miles a day tops.
Thanks

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ask em if a compatable charger is available and what style of connectors are used. Prob need to match connectors once you have all the bits.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks, Yeah, the connectors from the battery to control box seem non standard.
I'd rather get a 36v front wheel hub system, as she needs no far range or speed, but the only one with reverse is a 48v system and she wants reverse.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The reverse is in the controller. A lot of them have it. My Golden Motors controller has the option. If you really want to run 36v, look for a controller with reverse. They have gotten pretty cheap. The motor doesnt care.

I run a bits and pieces bike with a 48v hub on a 36v controller@ 33v(8s lipo). I also run a 24v geared hub@ 50v. Been mixing stuff for several years now with no issues other than you have to monitor voltage. Not suggesting you do this, just letting you know Ebikes components are very adaptable.

I will skip my endorsement for Lipos.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I ended up getting a non reverse 36v 250 watt geared front hub for her trike build. I was impressed with the hub quality. Good to know on the controllers are interchangeable. There were 2 plugs not used...headlights?... Ignition?. It's done now and all seems to work well.
The PAS seems kind of scary though and I may deactivate it. I worry she will start pedaling slow and the bike will jolt forward.
Hope the geared hub lasts. She is only 90 pounds and the trike is aluiminum and super light also. Are there plug and play twist throttles as she has a thumb control throttle now. Thanks much
Zip

Attachments

Last edited: