What are your thoughts on a Bike Pusher Trailer?

GoldenMotor.com

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
For the price of a 6HP motor or even less it would seem like a pretty economical route to take. In Ca. there is a one time $18 fee for motor powered 2-3wheel bicycle under 150cc which are considered mopeds. I don't have a problem with a one time registration. Of course the trailer setup would be the most work to make sure it feels safe with a low center of gravity and maybe locks to keep it from Jackknifing at a sudden stop.

Im getting hooked on the whole over 100 MPG thing. Gas is down to $1.65 here which averages to .0103cents per mile with my 33Saw friction drive. If it goes down to $1.50, i will be getting .0093 cents per mile. Thats less then a Cent per mile, I LOVE IT! So what that it takes me 40 minutes more to get home at 23mph, time goes by fast when your having fun, and i can always use a bit more exercise. Either way it beats my truck costing $10 everyday to commute.

I wonder how the pusher trailers react on uphill climbs without much weight on the drive wheel. Do you think the tire spins much when hitting bumps on the road? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Carlman

Dec 3, 2008
Perth, WA, Australia
i was oringinally going to make a bike pusher with a brand new 5.5 horse honda gx160. Then abondened it beacuse of my free scoter frame and wheels. I welded up a frame and everything just it would of took alot of careful work to make up he correct hinge. I might come back to it one day.

My design as i left it consisted of this. i modified the seat post by a pipe bender so it was vertical (90* to he horzontal). Onto that slipped a bike headseat with some bushings to make it a snug but moveable fit. Joined to hat was a curved quarter circle piece of pipe that finished about 30cm from the ground 30 behind the rear wheel. On that was a hinge and a box frame that would house the engine and wheel. my plan to fix the traction issue was to mount a light spring from the seatpost arm to the trailer.

So horizontal movement was from the seatpost and vertical was from the hinge.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
I found a good thread with someone who built one on the other Forum.

Im a welder so fabrication of the trailer isn't that big a deal. My concern is more on the powerside for uphill climbs and how the trailer handles bumps on the road.

I would make a U shape mount which wraps around the rear tire and mounts to the axle bolts on both sides of the rear tire. The bracket would extend futher past the bolts for for another attachment on the swing arm for stronger support. At the tip of the U would be a bracket to bolt a 3/4 heim Joint for the trailer hitch. The Heim will allow it to swivel in all directions. Another bar would mount to the Heim bracket and wrap over the top of the rear tire to mount to the bike swing arm underneath the shock.

Triangulation is key to strong engineering for support and durability.

Last edited by a moderator:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi kid; if you follow motormakers lead, you can build an inexpensive and innovative transport that will blow yourself and your friends away. i built one with one drill hole and one bolt. mitch

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
i wanted to build one for my bike so if i just wanted to ride i didnt have to fight the engine turning over to. but i too have a few hill between work let us know how it goes

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Thought about a U-Joint. I'll have to drill a hole through it for a hitch pin so i can take it on and off. There is a thread on another forum where a guy is using his right now. I've asked some relavent questions if you guys are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Trailers are awesome. Pure HP and it's all safely behind you. If you folks are worried about bounce on bumps, then get some Solid Poly Flat-Free tires for the trailer. Those tires made the biggest handling difference on my trailer.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
hi kid; if you follow motormakers lead, you can build an inexpensive and innovative transport that will blow yourself and your friends away. i built one with one drill hole and one bolt. mitch
Yep, I intend to follow Motormaker's build. It's simple and cheap.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
. My concern is more on the powerside for uphill climbs and how the trailer handles bumps on the road.

With 6 hp on tap, the key to harnessing the power is the right gearing. You need to find out at what rpm your continuous hp and torque is produced. Then you gear accordingly.

Big cc engines make their power at about 3600-4000 rpm. So a 10t/60t sprocket match is a good start to reach 46 mph at 3600 rpm.

Jeez, that's a lot of potential!

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Rgvkid pm'd me earlier, and he's busy, but still working on building his trailer. He is researching carefully and getting the right parts. He already has a new 6.5HP engine.