Well I'm back

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I washed my hands of kit motors when I picked up a Symba Cub. But I got a free Schwinn Del Mar with a attachment on it to make a 3 wheeler. There are some pieces missing but I probably have enough to put it together. In my shop I have a 49 cc motor with a 4g drive and centrifugal clutch. I think I can put something together without spending much.
So is the 49 cc motor powerful enough. I don't know yet home to hook up the drive chain but I can engineer that. I have a little shop and can fabricate parts.
I need another project.

Reactions: zing

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That would depend on who you are and how fast you want to go. LOL. First if its going on a trike you don't want to much over 25 mph, they are a hole different ball game to ride, and take some getting used to. Tricky to steer also, they are fun but also scary if not use to them, should be fun project.....Curt

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If your a retired tool and die maker, I was thinking you might go with a DIY engine mounted on a bike. The bike you have does look like a tight squeeze with the old Briggs engine I just barely fit on an old frame left by dumpster to rust. Newer four stroke Honda or look alikes with the OHV have a slant that may make a better fit. Oil distribution many have looked into to see if it can still work and not degrade engine. When I started about 45 years ago I heard of Whizzer, but ony had time for thrown out by curb lawn reel side shaft mowers. I can say I wish I had a 5hp, but the 3.5 has been fun. Finally getting the bugs out of my builds over the years, I could have saved a lot of time buying a kit. I can say I probably would be more likely to buy a used trail bike, would keep my motorbike if I could store both. Taking it out now an then too.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I had to put the project on hold due to some health challenges and I gave the Del Mar to my neighbor. I still have the motor and a desire to use it. I figure this motor has about 2.5 HP, that doesn't sound like much. I do like the idea of a three wheeler and think I will try to go with that. I think that the add on trike attachment would be better that a factory trike for my wants and needs. I have built a Schwinn trike with an electric motor for my wife. That has worked well, she rides it all over. A conventional bike with the trike attachment would allow me to mount the motor in the frame and fabricate a drive train. The factory Schwinn with the step thru frame makes for a rear motor mounting and drive sprocket awkward .

Reactions: fasteddy