Weird discrepancies in CDI coils readings and what I am told it should be.

GoldenMotor.com

BudManLXXIX

May 8, 2023
OK I'm not exactly a master at these two stroke bicycle engines but I do know the basics. My engine died and after narrowing it down to being an electrical problem, I youtubed how to test the magneto and CDI first here.
magneto.jpg The magneto

The magneto tested good but according to the youtuber the CDI should test around 6-8 Ohms. Well mine tested at 2.7k ohms.
old coil.jpg The old coil

So I figured the CDI was bad and I ordered a new one. New one arrived and assuming it would be good, cuz it's new and all. I put it on the bike but it was a no go. So I take it off and test it with the meter and I get a straight open. It wasn't till I received the replacement that I realized for some reason polarity matters when testing the resistance on a CDI coil. That was a new one on me. As far as I've always knew, polarity doesn't matter when testing resistance. I discovered this by carefully rewatching the video above and noticing he states which lead goes where. Ok so be it then, I said. So I retested the replacement one and lo and behold I got a reading. But wait, it was the same reading as the old one?:confused:
344312559_212921984841756_8693857560929592111_n.jpg The new coil. 2nd new one because I most likely tested the first new one wrong.

So I started to 2nd guessing myself. What are the chances...? But I couldn't find any mistakes in my testing nor my reasoning, so I figured I give it another go and ordered another new one. This time from a different seller. But when I tested it. I was then thoroughly confused. It too tested the same as the others.:mad::confused:
2nd new coil.jpg 2nd new coil or 3rd however you look at it.
By this time I've watch 4-5 other videos to verify the first ones statement of what the correct ohms the CDI should be at. All stating the exact same thing. It should be between 6-8 ohms. Two I can be live but three all having the same wrong reading as a bit too much of a coincidence. I must be doing something wrong. But what I can not fathom. I'm pretty much self taught on every thing I do know about these engines. I don't know anyone ho I can ask personally. And this is the first time google has failed me. So for the first time in over a decade I have to reach out onto a forum .Please someone what is going on. Am I l losing it or is there some bit of knowledge I am lacking for me to get the full picture. I am competely lost and have no idea what I'm doing wrong. But I have to be doing something wrong. The chances of me receiving three bad CDI's in a row is crazy, right?

BudManLXXIX

May 8, 2023
When there's no spark; 99% of the time it's a bad magneto (the part inside the engine), not the CDI
But.. it's a brand new bottom end and it tests good. Same results as it states in this video. It's only got a few miles on it. It's 3 Ohms shy of the lower end he states, but out of 300+, dose that really make a difference? And that's a question, I don't know if it does. And if that's the case why are all the CDI's showing different results then the guy states in the video?

magneto.jpg
My questions was about why the CDI's and why they don't test between 6-8 Ohms like all the videos I watched says it should? Don't guess and say it's one thing just because in most cases it's is. I might be that 1% where your would be wrong. How about you look at the evidence I presented to you before you make assumptions that may led me in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Did you get all 3 from the same place? If so they had a bad run of them... Usually the magneto as it's going out will work cold then as it heats up quit then work again when it's cool... I've never gotten a bad CDI or tested one but I have had plug wires with pin holes and just replace it with suppression core MSD wire... Try and get your money back and try another place... DLH tests each one... Or there's a pw80 CDI box...

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
But.. it's a brand new bottom end and it tests good. Same results as it states in this video. It's only got a few miles on it. It's 3 Ohms shy of the lower end he states, but out of 300+, dose that really make a difference? And that's a question, I don't know if it does. And if that's the case why are all the CDI's showing different results then the guy states in the video?

View attachment 113402
My questions was about why the CDI's and why they don't test between 6-8 Ohms like all the videos I watched says it should? Don't guess and say it's one thing just because in most cases it's is. I might be that 1% where your would be wrong. How about you look at the evidence I presented to you before you make assumptions that may led me in the wrong direction.
I don't know... Why don't you go ask all the 'experts' who made the videos, & then ask all the guys who sold you the CDIs what's wrong, (instead of asking us); & then getting an attitude when you don't get the answer that you want?

Reactions: Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
You don't want the DLH mag and magnet with a pw80 CDI and cr80 coil... The hottest spark and retardation along the rpm curve... When a box of returns is more satisfying to pick through ;)

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Instead of buying 3 you should have gotten another one... Just to confirm there all junk

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
There are a lot of differences in production from one makes to another, a lot of the parts are made in small shops without quality control. I have found several different coil types with different resistance, what matters is if it fires the plug and the engine runs, if so I’m happy.