Weed eater mountian bike

GoldenMotor.com

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I have a ryobi 31cc 2 stroke weed eater engine (I actually have 2) and want to put one on my 21 speed mountian bike. I would like the have a idler pulley chain drive but am probably going to go with a friction drive.

I just have a few questions about friction drive.

I'm planning to use a bike peg for the roller, does it need to be covered in rubber?

Could I bump start the engine ? (push bike until starts) It has quite a bit of compression.

Where do I get small pulleys and sprockets? the ryobi has about a 3/8" shaft, where could I get a pulley. Autozone, O'reilly?

Here is an interesting idea that I thought of.
Have a geared bike, use the existing 21 speed gears to get more speed (if I us a chain drive) Just take of the pedals and add a sprocket to the engine.

The bike has suspension so I doubt that I can fit the engine in the frame to make it look "cool".

I hope that most of you can answer my question about the pulleys and sprockets. Thats the one I need.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can't help you with the sprocket stuff.

They make an axle peg that is textured you don't need a cover see the weed whacker tips it is has tips about friction drive with the ryobi engine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You might also try the all things mtb thread just below that. I did a mountain bike 31cc conversion it is still in progress actually. If you read my mistakes you might be able to avoid the same ones.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I'm still going with a friction drive.

Deacon: How did you attach a drive roller to your engine shaft. You keep talking about a pip nipple? How did you use a canteen as a gas tank? I siphon system?

What should I use as a gas tank? I have the one from the engine but I took it off and need a different one.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
today I discovered that the gas tank from my bolins 31cc engine is just too small. I used it on the chain saw bike and I ran the engine out of gas and that is dangerous on a two stroke. No gas no lube you have to get them off the wheel quick so the engine stops turning.

How long is your shaft and what is the thread like. That will determine what you need to do. The last engine I mounted came from a leaf blower so it had a long shaft with a 5/16 fine thread on the shaft. If you have that shaft combo, I would go to the bike shop and buy a bmx axle peg.. but get one about an inch in diameter and textured like a file. Try to avoid the larger one that is chrome. Mine is made of alum and is 3/8 in threaded on both ends. So It fits down over the long shaft and I ran a few washers and put a 5/16 fine thread nut on it. It seems to work great.

If you have the short shaft best thing you can do is to get you a pipe nipple 3/4 inch diameter and the end cap to fit. You can drill a hole in the end cap dead center then weld a nut onto the end cap over the hold. Make sure the hole is big enough for the drive shaft to fit through.

Try to get some kind of texture on the nipple. I am trying to find something that works now. I am about to try jb weld and sand on the chainsaw bike again. It has the pipe nipple drive wheel. I am going to let it cure two or three days this time.

I was about to ask anyone if they had any suggestions for a gas tank that I could buy. I have used coke bottles, and the canteen. I am going to be looking for something I can standardize this time. You know buy five at one time.

I have discovered something interesting along the way. If you go to the auto parts store you can get some small white vacuum line connectors. Then you can use that to splice gas lines together and ever change the size of the lines. For instance I use 1/8 in lines in my tank for both lines. Using the connectors I can attach them to the different size lines for the gas and the return from the engine.

Next I plan to epoxy them to the new gas tank with the hose and filter inside so that I can just press the gas line from the engine onto them. It will allow me to change the tank on a bike without cutting out the filter each time.

The short answer is I am looking for something myself to use. The canteen holds two quarts of gas. I probably put a quart and half in it. It's important not to over fill a home made tank. Need to leave some room to pump the air into it from the return line.

Last edited:

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
My shaft is 3" long with about 2 1/2" from the flywheel. It's just threaded on the tip of the shaft for the clutch. I think my best bet is to use your idea. I'll just get 2 endcaps, one for threading and the other to keep it balanced.

As for the grip I'm going to go with a flat bike tire innertube. Rubber against rubber, less wear and wont wear away the tire.

I'm still clueless about the gas tank, maybe a small propane tank? Jb a hose connection on the bottom and drill a hole where you screw on a propane accessory.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm considering this for a gas tank...
Canteen..Red (5 of them) - eBay (item 320284171163 end time Aug-14-08 12:12:43 PDT)

Sounds like my ending last time. Not sure the 2nd end cap is necessary but probably cant hurt. If you can get the nut welded onto the end cap you will be better off I think. I tried to just drill, insert the cap and tighten it down with an inside nut. that is the one that shook my engine apart. If you get heavy vibrations rethink your wheel.

I really like the long shaft with the bmx peg. but that wont work and you cant weld the ones I have they are aluminum. If you could they would be ideal in every case. If you find some steel ones on ebay about an inch od that would be the way to go. Just weld to them.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm considering this for a gas tank...
Canteen..Red (5 of them) - eBay (item 320284171163 end time Aug-14-08 12:12:43 PDT)

Sounds like my ending last time. Not sure the 2nd end cap is necessary but probably cant hurt. If you can get the nut welded onto the end cap you will be better off I think. I tried to just drill, insert the cap and tighten it down with an inside nut. that is the one that shook my engine apart. If you get heavy vibrations rethink your wheel.

I really like the long shaft with the bmx peg. but that wont work and you cant weld the ones I have they are aluminum. If you could they would be ideal in every case. If you find some steel ones on ebay about an inch od that would be the way to go. Just weld to them.

here you go...
Pair of Blue Steel BMX Stunt Axle Pegs Bicycle - eBay (item 230279390842 end time Aug-14-08 19:07:48 PDT)

Now if you have a ryobi the shaft is 3/8 and you can just screw on an axle peg that has a thread of 3/8 24 which is pretty standard for non mountain bikes.

Last edited:

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I have a steel bike peg thats threaded, I could probably just use it. It has a 1.5" diameter, a little big, but I'm looking for speed. I have no hills, unless you count a driveway as a hill.

The reason for building this bike is I want to be able to pedal if something goes wrong. My motor scooter and minibike break down too much. With this I could go over decent size bumps, with my scooter it would just bottom out.

I will see what I can do tomorrow, probably go with the pipe nipple idea. My basically works at a hardware store.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Keep us posted. if you think you might have to pedal be sure to fix it so you can raise the engine. It makes pedaling a lot easier.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
Pictures and videos

Well, I got some pics of the engine and the home made gas tank.

Today I also recieved some primer bulbs, now I just need to make a T fitting since I only have one connection for the fuel on the tank.

Heres a video of me starting the engine. I drilled the endcap with a drill press, then brazed the clutch nut on the cap. Its well balanced considering it was just eyeballed.

YouTube - Ryobi Weed eater bike engine

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Those of us less talented would simply go to the auto parts store and buy a t fitting used in the vacuum system.

I'm jealous that you were able to keep your recoil rope starter. I'm sorry I have seen your gas tank. Now I want to make one from a five pound maxwell house coffee can.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I already looked at fittings at an auto parts store. The smallest they have is 1/4" I'm using 1/8".

The gas tank is made from a empty quart paint can with a turned down 3/16" hose barb. (put it in a drill press and hit it with a file). The filler cap/neck is made from a 2" piece of 3/4" copper pipe and a end cap. The cap just slides on, its a pretty tight fit as you could tell in the video. Also: I made a change able fuel filter from a piece of rope in the bottom of the tank. If you ever need to change the filter or clean the tank jsut pop off the pain can lid.

Now to mount the engine and tank on the bike, oh what fun.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You mean they had 1/4 vacuum line connectors. I ran into that at autozone and oriely... Advance was the only one who had a complete rack full of vacuum fittings.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
You mean they had 1/4 vacuum line connectors. I ran into that at autozone and oriely... Advance was the only one who had a complete rack full of vacuum fittings.

I'm probably not going to get a T fitting, I didn't NEED a primer bulb but I have 3 now. I can figure out something for them.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have two extra ones as well. I think that you need them if your tank is even with or below the carb. Doing a gravity feed shouldn't be necessary, at least that is my thought.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I thought the bulb was to prime the carb if you havent started it in a while.

I'm working on a motor mount now. it has to be thin enough to allow the pull start work but thick enough to hold together. I learned that too think of a mounting bracket and the plastic on your recoil will get chewed up and not work.