Water in middrive Motor housing

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
I have a bike with the 24V 450W electric bicycle gear motor from electricscooterparts.com on it running through shift kit to the wheel. I recently noticed a substantial decrease in power. I checked the battery and voltage out of the speed controller and they were both fine. The motor seemed like it had resistance inside it so i took the back cover off and it was full of water. I'm surprised it's still working but it is. The motor runs much better now but it still isn't as powerful as it used to be. Is there any way to fix this? Is the motor permanently damaged? Could the speed controller have been damaged too? Any insight would be appreciated.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i'm no electric motor wiz, but i'd try unpluging the battery and washing it out with wd40. if the bearings are bad and the armature and field meet you got toast. i've been washing my cheep chineze house fans once a year with the hose let dry, wd40 them and they have lasted 10 years. a little greese or oil the bearings isn't a bad idea. but as i said before an expert i am not. good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
america
Yeah i think the grease may have gotten washed out or something. When you take the motor apart do you take the gear side off first or the back side? I took the backside off partially to let the water out but it wont come all the way off.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i looked at that page and i'd say pull the gear off. it might have sealed bearings so it might just need cleaning, call them and ask, theirs a chance they will replace it. good luck