Very First Build

GoldenMotor.com

DocScott56

Dec 20, 2017
I have been on and off looking to start a project for years but finally have a excuse to start, moving to a college town next summer!

I was able to find 3 bikes for $40 on a local farm, my game plan is to Frankenstein parts from each to complete what I would consider a "dream ride", drawing inspiration from quite a few references.

Anyways, I am planning to use the men's frame and hopefully a 4-Stroke 49cc engine kit with mods in the future, need to take some measurements to make sure one will fit! But, I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Tomorrow I plan on sand blasting the men's frame to clean rust, check for cracks, and structural integrity. I am a little bit worried about the pitting on the frame but won't know how much metal is under their until I start cleaning. The men's frame doesn't have a maker plate on front, must have been taken off but does have a serial number.

Hope to update often and keep posted!
IMG_20171217_160938872_TOP.jpg IMG_20171217_160955782.jpg IMG_20171220_150015235.jpg IMG_20171220_150046018.jpg

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
my opinion of a good frame is one that has about twice the strength that a bicycle designer would normally put in

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The 50cc 4-stroke is a POS. Put a vertical mount Honda gx120 on that Schwinn. Use the qmatic transmission or make your own jackshaft setup and gear it 9:1. Best setup. Sleeve the seat tube. Weld in gussets in the rear end 4 total. Rear seat to chain stays 2x, one that ties seat tube to seat stays and one below. Or do the same with a 212 predator but it will need more expensive wheels and brakes.

Reactions: allen standley

DocScott56

Dec 20, 2017
I appreciate your take on this fellas. I will now ultimately end up adding gussets, a sleeve to the seat tube, and possibly adding a sleeve to the top tube depending on condition. Now for the motor.. I appreciate the suggestions but once I get over 50cc displacement, I am moving into a different realm of legality for the state of Illinois. Not looking to need to pick up a class L motorcycle license (At this time at least) for cruising around a small town.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Grab the tubes with a set of channel locks and see if you can crush the tube. I think unless you have some personal attachment to the frame it is completely toast. Larry

Reactions: allen standley

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
put a 50cc sticker on it. people have no idea. Many look at my 212 and ask if its a 50cc. There is also the 79cc which is 100 times better than that POS 50cc.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Just my observation Doc, I'm inclined to agree with Larry. I question the integrity of the frame you choose. If you insist, Tony has the right ideas for strengthening - If you can weld and if the metal is sound. You can get the look you want with a modern Huffy or Schwinn. If it is your intention to re-inforce the tubes you still must consider the origional weld points. Be safe! If you use a 2 stroke 50 in this frame keep in mind it will vibrate (any engine for that matter) I agree with the analogy a motorized bike is much like "a tuning fork on wheels". With that said I'm curious of your height and weight? This this too is a factor to be considered. Especially when thinking about using any antique frame. Again be safe.