VeloSolex 3800 Motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
There used to be thousands of these in Europe, I don't know any more. I have red one. I don't know where to put the post so I put it in here. This bike is a lot of fun, and that is what this is about. I got this bike from my grandfather a million years ago. I have not run this bike for over fifteen years, I need to get it going again. I can't get a good pic of the thing so I found this youtube vid, I think you will love it. I would give anything to go on a ride like this. Have fun, Dave
YouTube - SOLEX MILLENIUM LA RANDONNEE VELOSOLEX DES 60 ANS

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I saw a working one of these on clist for around $1000 very recently. I cna't find the ad, but it was in mint condition, shiny paint etc. It looked sharp. There are a number of videos on youtube about them, makes the friction drive look great. I'm interested in the tires on them, they look larger like a bikes but wide.

what kind of roller do they have?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I saw one of those in the antique shop about a month ago. Cool lookin contraption. It was all restored, I think they were asking for $900-1000 for it.

Definitely try to get yours running :)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
The wheels are a European size, that is the problem you can't just go to the bike shop and get them. There is a place in Utah, he is the US distributor, any way he was the last time I looked. The size is the same as a 19" motorcycle but only 1.75" wide so no motorcycle will fit. The wheel is actually smaller than a 26" bike they are heavy duty with a straight rib design. It ran good and never needed anything, I used to strap it on the back of my 18 wheeler and use it for transport. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
This bike if it is made as good as the original would be an OK deal. They are a little pricey and not the fastest thing made. I have had mine for 30 years or more. You could buy one I think and with proper care ride it for the rest of your life. Have fun, Dave
VeloCruz - Solex Motorbikes

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
There used to be thousands of these in Europe, I don't know any more. I have red one. I don't know where to put the post so I put it in here. This bike is a lot of fun, and that is what this is about. I got this bike from my grandfather a million years ago. I have not run this bike for over fifteen years, I need to get it going again. I can't get a good pic of the thing so I found this youtube vid, I think you will love it. I would give anything to go on a ride like this. Have fun, Dave
YouTube - SOLEX MILLENIUM LA RANDONNEE VELOSOLEX DES 60 ANS
ya i got a couple of them they are cool but dont go fast

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I have a 65' 3300S in pretty good shape. Originally from Germany but landed in OR years ago. Can't decide to restore it or just leave it alone. Being as leaving it alone is the easy, read cheaper as it needs new tires and would like to get ahold of a factory front guard, way out at this time that is the best option! I found a manual, NOS saddlebags and a 1:43 scale model of it to complete the package.

0312001807a.jpg

GUTENBERG94

Nov 1, 2009
Paris - FRANCE
Hi,

You should come and join us to participate at the Rock & Solex festival in Rennes, France.

See photos Picasa Web Albums - GUTENBERG94

This year in May with a friend we will participate to the race with an original 3800 Solex we bought 150 Euros.

Different categories: original & specials

Last year we went to the festival just to demonstrate our Triker-Solex YouTube - KartSolex édition 2009

Regards, From Paris France

GUTENBERG94

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got mine running today. I could not leave it alone so I took the cylinder off and cleaned it up. Years ago I added a boost port, I did it with a large die grinder, looked poor, so I cleaned it up and enlarged it. I lowered the intake port and cut the skirt on the piston. Years ago I notched the top of the piston to raise the ports, you can see the mods in the pic's. I did the mod on the carb, they say you can drill them out, but if you do it will not close proper so I made the venturi oblong so as not to cut the thin sides. I moved the timing ahead slightly and increased the size of the exhaust hole to about 1/4" I also found the two small holes that feed the carb too small and increased them out to 1/4 also. I don't want to race this thing but I would like it to get up and go if need be. Ill put up a few pics of the barrel. I like the way it sounds now, it no longer just takes its time revving up, it actually sounds like a small motorcycle. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

THEOVN1965

Jan 25, 2011
Charlotte,Mi.
I owned a solex back in the 1950s it was a late 1940s model. It had a larger
wheel dia. than the newer models. It was a great bike. With a little care
I think one would last forever. Parts are becoming more avail. as time
goes on. Theres a site Velosolex America. I've been thinking about getting
another for around town. As I remember they hold about a qt. of fuel mix
and you can drive forever. Not hard to repair if you have the parts.
I would think the tires for them now would last for a while.
Take Care
zpt

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's awesome. I am surprised no one took it. I used to have a beach cruiser and used a cheap one in case anyone stole it.

The VS is ugly to me but I like it because it is simple and long lasting. Seem to be everywhere on internet but I've never ridden one or seen one up close.

Can you make them go faster than 25mph?

The wheels are a European size, that is the problem you can't just go to the bike shop and get them. There is a place in Utah, he is the US distributor, any way he was the last time I looked. The size is the same as a 19" motorcycle but only 1.75" wide so no motorcycle will fit. The wheel is actually smaller than a 26" bike they are heavy duty with a straight rib design. It ran good and never needed anything, I used to strap it on the back of my 18 wheeler and use it for transport. Have fun, Dave

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have seen some beach bikes (standard bicycles) that were equipped with engines that came off VS's. They looked good, but I wonder how the frame/fork will take it being pulled like that. Dax and Staton drives are sold as being able to front-mount, so I guess it should work ok if you have a good strong fork.

I think putting a VS engine kit on a 26" bike would be smooth and give a lot of tire options.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My Hongdu/mostly Solex is a nice fit on the 24" Micargi cruiser. The 24" is close to the VS size and is a very nice ride. Tire choice is more limited, but still decent. If 20" wheels were used then dot moped tires & tubes could be used which would be a long lasting HD tire.