Upright 212 Intake/Carb

GoldenMotor.com

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
Hi all!

After deciding that getting a shiny new wrist in a MB crash wasn't enough, I figured I'd get a Predator 212 (well, another GX200 clone, I'm eyeing one made by Lifan and distributed by Carroll Stream that sports an electric start, my previous kit spoiled me) and mount it up on my bike. I'm just really tired of messing with mixing fuel and oil, and having to choose between hitting 35 or clearing intersections in less than 15 seconds from a stop.

I plan to mount it vertically (more or less) and remove pretty much all the plastics and the gas tank (gonna use a 1 gallon tank I bought and never used). I've already done my homework on figuring out the amount of oil I need to put in (and how to disconnect the low oil sensor), rigging up mounts, transmission, and all that jazz, and I know the carb will be screwed up from the angle, but I haven't found a good manifold and carb combo that'll work at such an angle. My thought was some kind of manifold I could mount a "standard" clamp on mikuni/clone carb (same/similar clamp style as on regular MB kits) on a round manifold, but I have yet to find anything like that.

Any suggestions would be wonderful, thank you!

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
Thank you! I never even thought about just using radiator hose, helluva lot easier than cutting and welding a bunch of stuff.

Slightly off topic and more general curiosity, what kind of fuel efficiency is "normal" for a Honda clone with the Comet/clone CVT? All I found by googling were some old posts on a minibike forum saying 40mpg if you're lucky, and some posts on here and some other motorized bike forums with no actual numbers or estimates. I'm curious because I want to know if my 1 gallon tank will be enough, or if I should buy a 2 gallon reproduction for a whizzer.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Depends on how far you want to travel, I would say 40mpg sounds right maybe more if you baby it. That Whizzer tank is large, will it fit right on the frame you plan to use?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thank you! I never even thought about just using radiator hose, helluva lot easier than cutting and welding a bunch of stuff.

Slightly off topic and more general curiosity, what kind of fuel efficiency is "normal" for a Honda clone with the Comet/clone CVT? All I found by googling were some old posts on a minibike forum saying 40mpg if you're lucky, and some posts on here and some other motorized bike forums with no actual numbers or estimates. I'm curious because I want to know if my 1 gallon tank will be enough, or if I should buy a 2 gallon reproduction for a whizzer.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I get about 40mpg but I ride it wot most of the time unless I'm on a 35mph road. Well even then I ride it wot as well, and have a speeding ticket to prove it.

I can make you a manifold for $25 an hour and it will probably take me about 3-4 hours. I just need some detailed specs. It will be mig or maybe even tig welded and port matched.

Don't run a 30mm carb unless you have hundreds of dollars into your 212 in big valve, compression, cam, rockers, etc. I ran a 19mm and it was great till I crashed it, and have been running the stock carb jetted with a .039" jet and a velocity stack and large air filter. A 22mm carb is a great setup from what I hear... And I've driven one with a cvt it was OK. I plan to do the same upgrade when I decide to spend another few hrs to modify my intake and buy the carb. But been using the stock carb and it's fine with my 22mm intake. You don't wanna over-carb a motor if it isn't built for high rpm. A stock predator will run great with some porting up to a 22mm.

Also depending on your mount angle you will wanna run between 19 to 24oz oil. When it stops spitting it out the valve cover is your ideal amount. For me it is 19oz and my pred is still running with over 10k on the clock.