Trouble starting new engine

GoldenMotor.com

Lord Loaf

Oct 19, 2020
Just installed a 66cc engine, followed the guide for starting in the instruction manual, but couldn't get it to start. Currently using a 16:1 fuel mixture ratio. Does anyone have any ideas?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Take s/p out of head. Hold s/p against head so it's grounded then roll bike to turn engine over and look for a spark. If a spark is hard to see in the sun try it at might.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Some things to check:
  • With the fuel valve open, do you see fuel in the line?
  • If the above is okay, then take off the bowl to the carb and check that there is gas there.
  • Check for spark (as wrench already pointed out)
  • When the clutch lever is NOT pressed in, is the rear wheel hard to turn (it should be).
  • When the clutch lever IS pressed in, is the rear wheel easy to turn, relative to when it's not pressed in?
After you check all that then try to run your bike while keeping this in mind:
  • Make sure your choke lever is ON, that is you are "choking" your carb. With the stock style of carburetor that means the lever is UP.
  • Remove the two wires coming from the kill switch

If everything above is fine then look at this thread (https://motorbicycling.com/threads/so-your-ht-bicycle-engine-wont-start-well-lets-take-a-look.35090/).

16:1 seems like a lot of oil, even for break in. I would suggest 25:1 to 40:1. Lot's of people will have different opinions, but I think most would agree 16:1 is too much.

Lord Loaf

Oct 19, 2020
I got it to work, the CDI coil was faulty because the resistance on it was too high. Cheers lads.