Trigger shifters and integrated brake levers?

GoldenMotor.com

Martinjmpr

Jan 3, 2020
Hi, everybody. I'm hoping to be able to build my own E-bike this year. Currently I have a 21 speed GT mountain bike that I'd like to convert using a rear hub motor kit. My concerns are that most of the kits include brake levers that cut off the electric power and they have a twist throttle on the right hand grip - well my GT has Shimano "trigger" shifters with the brake levers integrated with the body of the shifter so I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to make this work with one of these kits. I'm hoping that someone else may have been in a similar situation and wondering how they got around it. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Martin welcome to the forum! My less than ingenious solution to the problem on my MB was the run the half grip throttle on the left side. It's not hard to adjust to this even though it reverses the twist motion to forward rather than backward twist. Also the control buttons and screen or lights are reversed as well. After a few rides one adjusts to it. It's really quite intuitive & I've now two bikes set up this way; one is a hybrid gas/electric with twin throttles that I operate simultaneously....no problem. Though it sounds Micky Mouse in explanation it looks and works quite well.

I did try to find an electric half twist throttle but was unsuccessful, though didn't expend a lot of effort searching.

Rick C.

20190502_171130-1224x1632.jpg

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I use a triple chainring shift kit.

Here's my solution to the problem. I got a regular brake lever for the right handlebar and also put the twist throttle on the right side.

On the left handlebar I put the Shimano 3 speed/brake trigger shifter and a Sram 7 speed trigger shifter. This way all shifting is done with the left hand. There's also a color coding system. The bike gets shifted like this:

Red
Steep hill climbing and heavy load pulling
1(1-3)

Yellow
Around town general use
2(3-4)

Green
Down hill and open road use
3(5-7)

The only time a front chainring is shifted is when either in rear sprockets (3) or (5).

20210704_204946.jpg

20210602_132531.jpg

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here's how a 3x7 drive system gets shifted on your bike lowest to highest gear ratio.

1(1-4), 2(2-5), 3(4-7) for 12 sequential non redundant gear ratios.

If a gear is too easy or to hard to comfortably maintain a cadence (crank rpm) of 70-90; it means you're in the wrong gear. You can get bicycle computers with cadence meters on them.

Reactions: indian22 and Greg58

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
10 minute edit got me again. Wish this forum would fix that to edit any time. Ment to print this.

Red
Steep hill climbing and heavy load pulling
1(1-3)

Yellow
Around town general use
2(3-5)

Green
Down hill and open road use
3(5-7)