trailers and tires

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I have a head start on the trailer thing. I have one already built that can be modified I think. Actually I have three or four around. This one I think will be the easiest to modify and use.

Right now it is too small. It was built to drag a couple of car type batteries along behind my ebike.

It has the two wheels off a 16" kids bike. The axle is a 3/8 " threaded rod so I can move the lock nuts and make it a couple of inches wider. It has a plywood bed with a small wooden box attached.

I have a basket that is just about an inch too wide for the bed. I can move one of the wheels out enough to compensate for that I think. It's todays project after I get back from my bike tire search. I did find a 26" junker tire that isn't dry rotted so I am not in a hurry to buy anything. Still I would like to have a couple of more friction drive compatible tires before they go up in price. I have a couple of knobbies for the non drive wheels.

Besides I need somewhere to go, I am tired of the test tracks. The mall should be a fun ride. Also I am curious to see what the Sears bike section looks like.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I rode over to sears, they no longer stock bike parts tires chains ect. Kmart has those now. So I can order the tires on line and pick them up at the sears store. That works since the sears store is a nice weekday ride on one of the bikes.

I rode the 33cc chainsaw and decided that it needs the sandpaper on the drive wheel so I'm trying to attach it now.

Now about the trailer this is what i am going to be using.

I am pretty sure the wheels are 16" but 12" would work as well i'm sure.

thats what it looks like underneath.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
step one was to trade the open box for a larger closed box... I also have a basket for the top of the box which I will install when the blaze orange paint is dry. With a little luck the driver behind me will be able to see the orange box

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
shot with the top basket

Now I'm going to take it for a ride and see how it does with the 31cc front wheel drive that I designed for the diy novice.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

As usual nothing is as easy as I thought it would be. The trailer tongue is too short for the bike I want to use it with. I built the trailer for a bike with a 20" wheel. The bike I wanted to test it with has a 26" wheel.

I thought about swapping the wheels, I do have two extra 20" coaster wheels. then I thought I would just put a new tongue on the trailer. I have some conduit I haven't used for anything. But then I thought as I was eating a peanut butter sandwich, I'll just add a six inch bar going from the axle straight back. I can hook the trailer to that. So I did.

I rode it two miles empty and it pulls perfectly no swing at all even wide open. Which isn't very fast on that bike.

How does your dog like riding with you. neither of mine would sit still for it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Results of the test ride......

This particular trailer pulls like it isn't even there. I built it narrow to keep the profile easy for autos to pass without pushing me off the road. If they can clear me they can clear the trailer. It has just enough weight in the wooden box to prevent it from swinging back and forth at speed.

I ran the bike wide open and it still didn't seem to be back there. It made no difference to the hill climbing ability of the bike. The speed did not seem to suffer either. Remember though this is with an empty trailer.

I did a u turn in the road and the trailer again didn't even seem to be on the bike at all. All in all I would say empty this is a great trailer. However with a load I haven't done a test yet.

By the way you might notice the 1x2 on the front and rear of the box so that I could pick the whole trailer up and carry it into the shop for storage. It ain't purdy but it's functional. It almost makes me want to take a road trip..