Totally not prepared.

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So up until this past February, I had lived in Arizona for 24 years (aka my whole life). Honestly the last 5 years or so I wanted to leave for a cooler climate, badly. (oh, and less people, and less stuck up snobby entitlement people - no offense to the Arizonans here) So when I got the opportunity to relocate here to Colorado for work, I didn't hesitate.

We arrived here in CO on Feb 29th. 2 days later it snowed, woohoo. It was nice. Cold but not frigid Arctic or anything. And I love the snow. Spring was great. It was really interesting to see it snow on May 1st though, haha. We weren't expecting that and had planted some veggies about a week before. So much for that. Summer was nice. I amazingly found myself thinking it might have been a little too warm at times (I think it hit 100 a couple days, and was in the 90's for a few weeks). Fall was absolutely beautiful. Then I kept thinking to myself, "where the heck is the snow?" Well it started to actually snow a few weeks ago. Lovely. makes my Christmas lights look awesome.

But Holy Moley, I was not prepared for it to get THIS cold. When I left for work this morning, it was -11. It's now -13 by my house my wife said. I bought a huge winter jacket in October, and it is oh so nice to wear when it's super cold out. I have ski gloves, but this morning my finger tips were still frozen as I was scraping ice and snow off the car. I really need to buy some long-johns or something, because in only jeans, my legs were FROZEN. The last 2 days stepping outside takes your breath away. My facial hair instantly freezes. Yikes.

My car is not prepared either (04 SRT-4). It does NOT handle well on unplowed or poorly plowed roads. The extent of my winter preparations for it is putting that purple deicer junk in the windshield washer reservoir. Looks like there already is a battery warmer thing on it, but I have no idea how to use it. This morning it took a bit to start, that battery was not happy. Takes forever to warm up - temp gauge doesn't start moving till about halfway through my commute (just idling in the driveway does nothing for the temp). My Ac fan is starting to make noises now...doesn't want to function right in the cold. My clutch and brake fluids must be thicker than molasses right now, those pedals were so stiff this morning. At least I got some decent all weather tires before I left AZ. The summer-only tires I used to have would have been utterly pathetically useless right now...but these all-weathers still leave something to be desired.

Right now I'd really love to trade in my car and get my wife a Jeep and a Subaru WRX for myself....I want that all-wheel drive.

I'd also love it if I didn't have so much junk in my garage right now so I could actually use it.

Anyway, just thought I would share my complete unpreparedness. I think the Boy Scouts motto "Always be prepared." really fits here. Too bad I was never a Boy Scout.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
:DThe best way to be prepared is to have experience. :D Now that you're gettying the experience, you'll be prepare for next time. rotfl . Hope your doing well, good luck, and stay warm.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jason,
I moved here from Miami Florida in October of 79. On my way here, somewhere in Kansas I ran into cold weather. Something started forming on my windshield and when I would hit the washer button it got worse. I finally had to pull over and try to clean the windshield and when I started to wipe it...guess what I found. ICE! "Holy Moly" Now what the heck do I do?" Made it to a gas station and asked the guy how to keep ice off the windshield. He asked what kind of washer fluid I was using. "Washer fluid? Well, its water, what else would you put in your washers? It's all we ever used in Miami.
Welcome to winter, Tom
After more than 30 years here I'm getting the knack. Dress warm, keep a blanket and extra clothes in your car, a flashlight, cell phone, a jug of windshield washer fluid and even some freeze dried food for if you get stranded. I once spent four and half hours sitting in a Toyota Land Cruiser on I-70,(a semi had rolled blocking the highway) low fuel so we couldn't run the heater and nothing to eat or drink but a bottle of peppermint shnops and a couple of doobies. Darn near froze to death.
Ahhh, winter in Colorado. A few more days of this and you'll be seriously considering your decision to move here...then spring comes and you'll remember why.
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well I am one of about 5 people in Tucson that actually owns an ice scraper. That being because I came here from Pennsylvania. I remember days when you risked frostbite by just stepping outdoors. 2Door has the best advice. Keep plenty of blankets and emergency supplies in your car. As long as you don't attempt any unmaintained forest service roads in the dead of winter somebody will be along eventually if you get stuck. If you do get stuck stay with your vehicle unless you KNOW that there is someplace you can get to in less than 20 minutes on foot and you have the proper clothing to be outside in that type of weather. Time for you to burrow in and hibernate!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I Know cold. My Freightliner froze to death in Couincil Bluffs, Iowa. Just stopped running.
Ma, Nature is cruel. BE Prepared!!! No One has to die. Darn, it!!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah I really do need to get some supplies in the car.

I guess right now it's just a matter of not knowing what to expect. Luckily it isn't this cold all winter long, sheesh.

At least I'll know what to expect next year :) (yeah right, just watch next year will be another blizzard year like it was a couple years ago)

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Yeah I really do need to get some supplies in the car.

I guess right now it's just a matter of not knowing what to expect. Luckily it isn't this cold all winter long, sheesh.

At least I'll know what to expect next year :) (yeah right, just watch next year will be another blizzard year like it was a couple years ago)
Or it could be a warm year. You could never really tell these days. Bu then again, I do live in Southern California. What do I know of seasonal weather.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
2door, I'll try and learn from your advice. If and when I move "Up North" I'll do my best to keep TWO bottles of Schnapps and FOUR doobies on hand.
Just for emergencies and medicinal purposes only...of course! :D

Last edited:

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Yeah, my Dad's in Glenwood Springs and he said they've been having a cold spell. Sub zero temps the last few days. Layer up and stay warm A. Here's something weird. I'm in Albuquerque and this is what my yard looks like right now. It's not really cold. Around freezing. But it's been snowing all day. Hmmm.

Attachments

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
You people seem to be talking about spring weather . I used to live in a small mining town just north of the 54th parallel . There was one cold stretch where it didn't get above 40 below for two weeks and it was usually around 45-47 below . It was so cold that the foam rubber in the front seat of my car froze . I don't mean that it was stiff , It was as hard as a rock . Yes you know that it's cold when foam rubber freezes . I would get up in the morning and walk by my car on the way to work , dreaming of temperatures over -35 when the car would actually start . It is a little warmer where I live now . It is currently 21 below F.
.santa

D.J.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
...And where's Al Gore when you need him?
Global Warming my ars. Another scam perpetrated by government and big oil.
What happened to the 'New Ice Age" they said was coming in the 70s and when was the last time you saw headlines about the Ozone Layer Depletion? Okay, I'm off the soap box for the night. I just get riled whenever I see scare tactics like Global Warming, Climate Change or the Evil Empire used to control the populace. Guess this isn't the place for this so, I'm done. Sorry.
>2door shuts down his computer and goes back to his rocking chair.
(grumpy ol' fart)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I surely would like to say "global warming" isn't really all about it getting hotter, it is about climate change which affects weather patterns and can make for some interesting weather in places that don't usually get it.

Anyway, we'll not get into that.