too much oil?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by crabdance, Jun 23, 2008.

1. crabdance

crabdance New Member

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if you run too much oil in your gas mixture can you hurt your 2 stroke engine? I pretty much know that I ran mine pretty high on the oil to gas ratio. I can't tell you what the ratio is because I was guessing. I had less than a gallon of gas to start with and guessed at the amount of oil to use.

Anyway, I only rode it for about 30 minutes. Could that hurt my engine in any way? I certainly don't want to do that. Any help is appreciated.

cd

#1 crabdance, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Short term, probably not. But long term it's not good.

Dump the rest of that fuel in your car, and start with fresh fuel. Use a shot glass or marked bottle, a clean (new) 1.X gallon can. Pour some of the fuel in, add the oil. Mix well. Add some more of the fuel (1/2 gallon), mix well again. Add the remainder of the fuel. Mix well.

I do this at the gas pump with no difficulty because I have a plastic measuring squirt bottle for my oil. Made it easy when I did the castor oil blend. The beauty of the pump is I can meter in near perfect one gallon of gas.

3. crabdance

crabdance New Member

Thanks Pablo, I feel a little better about it now. I was worried. I don't have to worry about dumping the fuel anywhere because that was all that I had and it went into the bike. I just got back from the gas station where I added about .75 cents of gas to the mixture and that should help me out a lot.

Thanks for getting back with me. Being new to this I was worried about any effects. I think I will be ok now until my next tank and I will be more careful about my measuring when the time comes.

cd

4. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I'd be very carful about adding "75 cents worth" to an already unknown mixture....you may really mess things up.

5. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Yeah I just read that and thought the same.....I know .75$ is less than .2 gallon, but still - be careful. In a low tank of whatever mix, you could be more than cutting it in half....:confused:

6. crabdance

crabdance New Member

thanks for the input guys... maybe I should consider dumping what I have and starting over again. I don't want to mess anything up that's for sure.