Too much fuel?

GoldenMotor.com

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so this bikes been sitting for about 4 years. I pulled it out, replaced some parts, fuel line, kill switch, throttle cable, etc, but still running the same carb. It's one of those cns cone carbs that grubee used to make. The engine will start with the choke half on, but give it any throttle and it dies. About 5 min of running and it dies anyway. Also, there's fuel POURING out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the bowl. I tried cleaning out the air filter, adjusting the idle screw, and bending the float. Any ideas?

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Also, the carb plunger fell apart when changing the throttle cable. I think I got it back together right, pin in first then the retainer clip? Or is that the other way around. I can post pics if needed.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Mat the cns came with the first 6 kits I bought starting in late 2010, all but a couple have had to be replaced. The plastic spacer fell apart on most also. For $10 each I went with the standard nt. It sounds like you have debris between the needle and seat or it may be varnish from old fuel, either way you need to disassemble the carb and clean it.

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks. I took apart the carb and you're right, needed cleaned badly. Got it all back together. Engine still bogs though. I've got 3 theories. 1. I just notice my exhaust is loose and the gasket needs replaced, possible air leak. 2. I may have put too much oil in the gas, what I was using to measure I dont think was accurate. 3. If all that fails, I'm going to just buy an NT carb for $10. I'll let you know how it goes.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
possible try changing out the sparkplug wire on the cdi they unscrew you can use a wire for a car just cut the end off opposite of the spark plug and screw the wire back in, i tried it ot works I use accell 8mn high suppression s.p wire for hot rod v8, works great, and try different spark plug, and check your wiring connections could be grounding somewhere and maby the exahust pipe is plugged, hopefully helpful, good luck