To fire it up or wait till spring

GoldenMotor.com

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina
So im currently building a pred 212 bike. Should have it up and running near December. My question is, Dec, Jan winter arrives. Now i live in North Carolina, so the winters are nothing here, yet it still gets decently cold, 30 - 40. With out having a garage (living on the 2nd floor in an apartment complex) The only way i can store the bike in the dead of winter would be carrying it up into my office. I have no problem doing so. I actually have no problem keeping it in the enclosed bike section of our apartment complex throughout winter, i just dont know if that would be the greatest for the engine. Would it be ok to run in that cold ? Cruise around the neighborhood, break the engine in ? Run donuts on the 3 inches of snow we MIGHT get. Or would i be better just waiting until spring to fire it up and break the engine in?

Note: I dont want to fire it up, ride it in December then have to store it in my office for January smelling like gasoline. If anything i would drain it, although i read for storing less then 90 days you actually want to store with a full tank and fuel in the lines.

What do you think, would you cutt your grass in the winter time if the grass grew ?

Reactions: indian22

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As long as you add stabil to the gas leaving gas in the tank is not a problem, here in Georgia I never drain anything but have a shop to store things in. If you have a area to keep it dry that would be ok, on warm days during winter get it out and make a lap around the block and it will be ok.

Reactions: indian22

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I agree with Greg, keep it dry, even if you have to just cover it, you don't want water to get in the fuel tank or to get any water in the air filter that could get sucked it into the engine when you try to start it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Careful here, as use of plastic can be almost as bad as not covering, sun beats on it and they sweat. Been known to rust up things, faster then not covering.........Curt