This is the bike that made me give up on gas bikes forever.

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
One thing we all have in common on this forum whether we ride gas or electric, is we all like bikes. Even though eBikes have been around for a long time, there's a new kid in town, and eBikes are now in danger of becoming also rans. In less than 5 years these other things are taking over.

Currently fixing this e-scooter for my great nephew. See kids and adults riding these things all over town. I live in a small town at that around 5000.

20210607_143946.jpg

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Ebikes get better and better the more kwh and money you can put in, and the more regularly you use them. For a daily commuter $$$ bike where you need tons of range they are great. The ones where they are an affordable one and have a tiny battery pack, or if you only ride them once a week, they don't imo work out as well in those cases. The battery sits around peaked out at 100% for days on end waiting for you to ride. Or similarly you forget to check on the charger and it sits drained. Batteries don't last sitting at 100% or empty. One mistake and your hundreds of dollars out the pocket.

You can pickup a $100 project gas bike on offerup, and with a few parts and some knowledge have a fun bike. Try working on that budget with ebikes...

Its the same thing with garden tools you use only once in a while. You can let a gas trimmer sit in your shed for MONTHS unattended and the **** will just fire right up when you need it. With a battery trimmer if you let your battery sit dead or topped off for months the pack will not be happy. And those batteries are not cheap, at least not the ones for the powerful trimmers. Electric and gas, each has its place where it does well, and its going to stay that way for a long time in my opinion.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don’t doubt the virtues of ebikes.
- I would miss the daily tinkering that some gas bikes provide.
- if I had an ebike with a programmable controller, it may satisfy my desire to tinker.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don’t doubt the virtues of ebikes.
- I would miss the daily tinkering that some gas bikes provide.
- if I had an ebike with a programmable controller, it may satisfy my desire to tinker.
It's true, eBikes don't need much fettering with tuning. Even with a programable controller, once you get it set up like you like it, you're not going to need to mess with it much after that.

That hasn't been a problem with the Stealth, because Stealth has zero aftermarket. Everything I've done had to be custom installed, and it's been pretty challenging. I'm quite satisfied with it at this point, but my reject pile is about 4 feet high.

Reactions: indian22