The Creation Of "The Dragon Lady"

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Creating "The Dragon Lady"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing leads to another.scratg

It will take a few days to contact Dave Staton and have a new freewheel sprocket flown in.

Soooo, I might as well strip down "The Iron Dragon" to original. Then I'll have a front suspension fork installed. To reinstall the front friction drive assembly onto a suspension fork, I'll need to bolt this on to secure the front support rods:

Amazon.com: Delta Mega Rack Shock Treatment Bicycle Front Rack: Sports & Outdoors

Then I'll connect a Staton REAR friction drive with 1.375" roller and 6hp Polini engine onto the FRONT fork.

While "The Iron Dragon" is down for repairs/renovation, "The Dragon Lady" is being created. Today I removed the front friction drive assembly. Since "The Dragon Lady" has a suspension fork, I used the abovementioned rack to help install the front drive assembly. However I installed a pocketbike engine up front and bolted on a Staton rear drive with 1.5" roller and 2.2hp Mits engine..bld.

The pocket bike 49cc engine has reed valves, Rockitt timing key, 14/14 Dellorto replica carb and ADA expansion pipe. With a 1.25" roller, this engine should push the bike to 35 mph at 11,250rpm.

At 35mph, the Mitsubishi engine with 1.5" roller should be turning 8900rpm, which should be close to its rpm limit.

This is my "back up" bike until "The Iron Dragon" flames on again..fly

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I installed better rear brakes, bolting a used front center-pull brake underneath the Staton rear motor mount. I just need to hook up cable and lever. Cost of brake upgrade= less than $15.00

That done, I worked on the pocketbike engine's jammed pullstart assembly. When the pullstart spring popped out, I gave up and replaced the PB engine with a Mitsubishi with expansion pipe. Now "The Dragon Lady" has TWO Mits engines, both with friction drive and individual fuel tanks. For easy fillups, I'll hook up the Happy Time tank as a reserve to feed both tanks. The tank will mount very low on the girlie cruiser frame so the siphon primer bulb will push fuel upward into the engines' tanks.

"The Dragon Lady" should fly tomorrow and take me to work on weekdays..fly

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
You know if I was to cross the USA on a motor bicycle. That would be the setup and pull a trailer with sleeping gear and parts.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yep, I'd choose a mile-mannered/twin-engined bike with 203 mm disc brakes and the trailer that assembles into a pup tent on plywood platform above ground. Twin 4-strokes for no-mixing fuel, but twin Mits with expansion pipes and 21-speeds would conquer any mountain.

If one engine breaks down, the other would get you to a safe destination at 25mph..cptr.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
brisbane, I had "The Dragon Lady" up and running over the weekend. The rear brakes worked for the cost of a $5 brake cable. After filling the reserve tank before heading off to work, the rear engine hose sprung a leak. Fixed that and rode to work. Just as I reached work the rear engine ran outa gas. Upon leaving work at day's end, the siphon bulb in the fuel line sprung a leak. Then while leaving leaving work, it started raining continuously until I reached home 30 minutes later. The rear engine ran outa gas again a mile from home.

All that did not wipe the smile on my face as the friction driven bicycle slipped and slid all six miles home..rd.

One thing I like about Hawaiian rain is that it's cool, never cold..rd.