tell me which to use

GoldenMotor.com

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
I have these four engines to build my motor bike with, I live in north carolina where the 50cc rules do apply

49.5cc motor from a chinesse scoot (will end up either belt driven or friction drive)
3.5hp briggs and straton (is it to big? im a big guy so trust me its not to heavy)
5hp briggs and straton (this thing cant be street legal can it)
weed eater (use to be an outboard motor from a summer project 11 years ago)

what can i say im a mad scientist with a taste for off the wall

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd go for the CCS engine (cheap chinese scooter). It's got a variable transmission as well, plus it's "legal".

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
yes and lucky fo me the rear half of the engine already faild so i dont feel so back chopping it off

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
OK Ive decided, THe challenge that I being currently both broke and unemployed. I am gonna make a motorbike. and the one rule is i cannot spend any money doing it.

I have what most of you have a few bike frames, i also have a few motors and i have one thing most of you dont. an old scooter i got off craigslist.

i got it and its twin brother from a ladie for 250usd and built one from them. i still have a good motor with a ruined cvt.

Parts i will be using
chinesse scooter engine, tank, throttle, cdi, I hope i dont need the cpu becauseits dead. also the harnes is cut so i will have to rewire the engine a little. good thing is the magnetto supports a full lighting system.
huffy beachcomber cruiser (hunter green of course)

i need to install a front brake, mounting hardware, and a battery(for the electric start)
im keeping the front half of the cvt transmission and welding a sproket to the clutch nut.
and finaly i will set up a sproket on the opposit side of the tire to the peddle sprocket

Remember everyone ive never made an mb before.
Ill take all of your advice i can although the trik design with that wonderful 5hp briggs and stratton is looking like so much fun

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
ok the trike thing is still making me want to build it. so who wants to see me build a mt
(mototrike) i can always change engines to the 3.5 down the road (which displacement on is 115cc according to a website i read.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Build The Biggest One You Can Remove Any Stickers That Say What Hp Or Cc It Is And With A Big Grease Pen Write 32cc. :d That Way If Questioned You Can Say Well Its Looks Bigger That 32 But Definatly Not Over 49. :rolleyes:

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
thanks for the ideas, i was gonna use the 49.5cc scooter motor, but i caznt find the carb... and th trike idea died today wen i went to go get my second beachcomer fam and it was missing, so if im gonna make a trike now... it will be with anear all custom frame. is there any issue with using a hand made frame? are bikes regulated by the dot?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I don't think bikes are regulated like that. Some states require registration of bikes (even normal ones), but I doubt it would be an issue.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Actually, it is worth your efforts to build with the 5HP B&S unit. Mount it up in the center area, add a jack shaft after your center post, and run a chain to the main sprocket area, if you have a geared bike, use the inner drive gear for the transition and then you use the rear gear cluster as the driven.
Which in the long run offers up more speed and a diversified transmission of the sorts. Our state could care less of what the cc rating is for the engine. if your bicycle has been fitted with an engine, it is now under the motor cycle usage laws of the road, and then you are destined to be regulated as a motor driven vehicle. which means you must register it with the state and now it falls under the law of being registered, licensed, insured, all safety items required, brake lights, turn signals, helmet, eye protection, and you must pass a valid two wheeled safety coarse before you can get your motor cycle endorsement on your drivers license. And you must be 16 or older to ride a motorized two wheeled vehicle and you are restricted to a cc constrained classification.

So for all those here in Utah, might as well go for the largest conversion your ride can handle, cause you will limited if you do not take the road coarse on some thing larger then 650cc. And it is my understanding that there will be a great change in all the states concerning motor cycle laws as well. So riders be aware of those changes to come. wouldn't want any of you getting pulled over and hefting a court fine for the conversions.:eek:

Maximo

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
I know your lurking in here deacon, being as your the ghost of the diy forum... hehe

I just started on my first diy went with a weed eater engine, working on a friction roller

have you ever noticed that its always the rear interturbe thats leaking, why is that.
my mtb and my cruiser both have a leaking rear tire.

so this is my mount idea for the front tire.

if you notch the drop lower rod and add a "peddle" at the bottom then you can place your foot down on it to increase tension (carefully people) or press it up so that the notch catches to make a holding clutch. your welcome to use this btw.