SuMFS

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Sucessive Multiple Failure Syndrome

Is your ride plaguing you with this problem? I know mine is! I understand that Jerry Lewis has a house here in Tucson. I am going to see if I can get him to host a telethon! scratg .weld

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Perhaps the first of the HT Gremlins are beginning to arrive from China now ?

In earlier times at least they got the blame.

Perhaps we should have a Motorbike-Gremlin emotocon ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sucessive Multiple Failure Syndrome

Is your ride plaguing you with this problem? I know mine is! I understand that Jerry Lewis has a house here in Tucson. I am going to see if I can get him to host a telethon! scratg .weld
What is it this time, Fin?
Maybe we can help.
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Nothing I can't handle, it's just annoying. I had a persistent clicking sound coming from the rear wheel and had a stripped stud hole on the intake. I finally figured out that the clicking was because I didn't have enough clearance between the sprocket bolts and the coaster brake arm, and I got a helicoil into the intake. I then started reassembly only to find out that the bolt on the chain tensioner had stripped. So I am now waiting for the part to arrive. Just aggravation, that's all. =/

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nothing I can't handle, it's just annoying. I had a persistent clicking sound coming from the rear wheel and had a stripped stud hole on the intake. I finally figured out that the clicking was because I didn't have enough clearance between the sprocket bolts and the coaster brake arm, and I got a helicoil into the intake. I then started reassembly only to find out that the bolt on the chain tensioner had stripped. So I am now waiting for the part to arrive. Just aggravation, that's all. =/
Chin up. We've all had problems. When the thing is running right it sort of makes up for the down time so hang in there. Why did you have to order a new tensioner bolt? That should be a hardware store item.
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The bolt is the threaded part of the wheel/pulley/whatever. I assumed it was a single unit anyway. Now I'll have to check when I get home to see if I can just put in a new bolt. :-||

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I had that clicking sound about 6 miles from the shop at night. Scary, yea. Babyed it for the trip home. Catastropic failer? Na, That little spoke reflector came loose and was hitting the chain. At least it went in the backpack, then the trash!laff Happy New Year Riders. Great Emo's fantastic job!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
:-||

Reattached the rear wheel and got the new tensioner installed. I then spent half a day tweaking a long pipe I had to get the exhaust behind me so I could ride without getting oily feet. Finally got that done so that the crank and chain cleared everything and the exhaust stud mount stripped out. Because this is the "inside" stud I'll need to loosen and shift the whole engine again so I can tap it out for a helicoil. I'm beginning to consider just parking this thing and giving up!! :(

scratg

Edit: I forgot to mention that the clicking sound is still there!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Old school bikers have a old superstition where they hang a tiny brass bell on their Harleys to keep the "Gremlins" off their bikes!
My Harley has a bell & so do all my personal motorbicycles...
(hang the bell as low to the ground as possible.)
.trk

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The helicoil stripped. I'm scrapping the engine. I will use it for a core refund from Spookytooth if they allow it once I save save enough pennies to buy a new engine from them. No more ebay junk for me!!! Meanwhile I'm shut down.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Old school bikers have a old superstition where they hang a tiny brass bell on their Harleys to keep the "Gremlins" off their bikes!
My Harley has a bell & so do all my personal motorbicycles...
(hang the bell as low to the ground as possible.)
.trk
Wow, Venice. I'd forgotten about those bells. Thanks for the memory and reminder. And you're right about hanging it low. I remember guys used to hang them so they would just barely clear the ground. I still see one occasionally but the rider always has a lot of grey in his beard.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The helicoil stripped. I'm scrapping the engine. I will use it for a core refund from Spookytooth if they allow it once I save save enough pennies to buy a new engine from them. No more ebay junk for me!!.

Ebay sellers sell the same engines as Spookytooth!!! It's all a roll of the dice...scratg

The ONLY engines that I could say would be better are Chris Hills... & thats because he actually rebuilds new engines with good parts! (all the others are the same.)

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Perhaps, but Spookytooth is local for me and they back up their product. If I have a problem I can drive over there and they will help me with it. They have told me they have a deal with Dan Grubee on their engines.

Not all HT engines are created equal. While the design may be the same some factories are better than others. I obviously have an engine where the alloy the head is made from is way too soft to hold threads. I am done throwing good money/time after bad trying to make it work! I am guessing it wouldn't be too long before the piston started slapping around as the cylinder wears out anyway.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Finfan.... if your stripping THAT MANY bolts out, I really think you're over torquing them.
I havent had that many problems with ALL the bikes I've ever built!
Just tighten the nuts & bolts 'nice & snug'... & use RED loctite.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
VB:
I assure you I am not going wild with the torque. I just snug them with a 10mm wrench. I also do not have an allergy to Kryptonite so I can only assume that the metal is soft.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, Fin, lets assume the hole is still somewhat in tact, rent or borrow, or buy a tap set. Find the one closest to the hole size. Run it in till it stops. Then run next size up. Cut or grind a Stainless bolt head off and make it fit tight, real tight. Get some stuff called Liquid Steel. Coat the bolt and screw it in the cyl, till it stops. Drill the muffler flange to fit the bolt. Once it drys forget about ever getting it out. 24 hours is good. Hope this helps.weld