Suggestion on what to do with the master link in your new kit!

GoldenMotor.com

Runningboy

Jun 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
1. Open the chain box and remove the master link and clip.

2. Walk to the edge of your property.

3. Give it a good hard chuck towards the highest grass you can see. ;)

You can check my post in the Introduce Yourself forum " Blood, sweat, fun, now the tears. Help!" to read the whole story on how I came up with the above instructions. Short story is the master link failed on my motor chain around mile 70 and ruined my rear wheel. And yes the clip was on the correct side and direction. Sprocket, chain tensioner, chain tension, line up all were perfect. The master link just failed. Suspect that the clip just popped off (probably was weak from putting it on and taking it off during build) and then it was matter of time. I inspected all the bolts once a day but never looked specifically at the master link. Don't think this would have made a difference cause once the clip goes while you are riding disaster is surely soon to follow.

One thing I am curious about is why such severe damage was done to the spokes of the rear wheel? (See pics below) Have read in the forum that losing a chain seems to be a normal part of riding and no big deal, (As long as it doesn't take a piece of your anatomy with it when it goes!) just fix the chain and go but that is not what happened to me. I was just taking off and was only going about 5 miles an hour when it locked up the rear wheel and seriously bent the spokes and the rim. The chain jammed between the bolt on sprocket and the spokes.

Well just wanted to post this for the benefit of other noobies in hopes it might save them a major hassle and some expense. I could be wrong (more often than not) but a master link will not be part of my bike ever again. I went to the motorcycle shop and bought the "Mini chain press tool" in the picture below for $17 and in 15 minutes I had a chain that does not have a master link. Easy, peasy, chinesy. :) Should have done it on the first build. You don't have to cut the chain either. Before I started the build I bought a bicycle chain tool form Wallyworld but it was to small for the kit chain. (The one on the right in the pic below) Heard you can break the tabs out of the middle and make it work but all you really need is the little pin knockerouter that came with it. A pair of vise grips and a hammer and this little pin and you can knock the pin out of the chain in a few seconds. Don't knock it all the way out if you can help it as it will make it a lot easier to press back together. Going to upgrade to the #41 chain in the future too.

OK. Feel better now and I'm on my way down to the bike shop to get a new wheel and pay them to remount the cassette and the tube and tire. $ouch$. May get to putt before sundown if I am lucky. Not looking forward to remounting the sprocket on the wheel. Also just got my new mirror and double pull brake lever in the mail yesterday so get to mount those today. Well one of the reasons I bought the bike and kit was to get some exercise. Between walking a mile back to work on Thursday after the chain disaster and all the work on the build, and the small amount of pedaling I have done I had to take in my belt a notch yesterday. Noobies if you are considering a build and you don't enjoy building/repairing/tinkering on the bike at least half as much as riding it then the kit is probably not for you. You know I grew up on a motorcycle in the 70s and it was no different. Ride em 3 hours and work on em an hour.

Still having fun in Boulder. To be continued.

"And now for something completely different"

Attachments

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
I've never had a master link fail on the many bikes I've built. I've had failures with chain when alignment was not correct, when sprocket chrome wasn't knocked off and chain binded, when tensioner seized etc...

Sorry to hear you had problems. Sounds like you got it all sorted out and are quicly becoming an expert on these bikes.

I like the chain press you bought. I definitely will have to buy one now.

Last edited:

Runningboy

Jun 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
Well that was not too painful. $29 for the wheel and they only charged me $5 to remove the cassette and tire and remount them on the new wheel. Did it right then and I was paid and out of there in 15 minutes. Really can't beat that. Bicycle Village on 28th St. Very friendly, good service. Got the sprocket remounted and am getting ready to go tighten it down now. Should be back on the road in an hour. Yea!

You know I am realizing that there are some definite advantages that weigh against the problems of these bikes as commuters. When is the last time you took you're car in to have the wheel replaced and came out 15 minutes later having spent $37. The savings in gas and car repairs are going to quickly outweigh the costs of maintaining the bicycle.

(p)

"And now for something completely different."

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think I was the most surprised when I realize I wouldn't be paying the mechanic to safety inspect the bike, or to charge the air conditioner, or to fix a power window. I realized that if I needed a new tire I could buy one for ten bucks, fifteen at the most, not a hundred.

Avoiding one trip to the auto mechanic paid for the bike. Probably with enough to build the weed whacker as well.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a "Place where all bad things go".

It's right around as far as I can throw a given object across the road in a vacant field.

Things like the Walmart/Bell chain breaker after two uses.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now that chain break gets a bad rap... I broke two of them before I figured out it was me not the breaker. You can not wind it to the end and put pressure on it. It just strips the threads.

I wouldn't even try it on a large chain though I broke one of them on a motor chain trying to force it out. I have one now and have used it several times on bicycle chains and it works great.