suggestion for site....online petition

GoldenMotor.com

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
sorry to do a double posting i just seen the "suggestion box" and this seems like a better place for it.......
anyhow it would be cool to have a petition we can sign somewhere on this site.... we could then all pass the link around myspace and the like i would think over time it would add up

I found a web site that lets you make online petitions.

PetitionOnline.com - Petition Submission Form

Im not good at legal writing but i figured someone here would be its a collective thing meaning you can post link on your myspace or anyother sites and all signatures add up. would be nice have something to send to state legislators to bring motor assist bikes to legal status in non bike friendly states

anyhow if some one writes it up ill post it everywhere on the web i can find
or is there already one i can sign and post

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
reading thru the legal threads alot of states....such as i live play the old.... ride a motor assist bike we will ticket you for no insurance or tag.... can be $1500 dollars in fines..... how ever they will refuse to tag it as its built from a bike frame...... I was just looking to see if mabey someone in this forum was a past legal student or somebody with more experience than myself in that matter had an idea for "proper" wording for a generic online petition that could be posted on different websites that then could be used to "apply pressure" to local authorities to get them to either allow you to drive as a bike or allow you to insure as a moped..... as the law stands now they just wont allow you either so your out of luck and will be ticketed on your way to work

the beauty of online petitions is they are some what viral......you can place them on utube vids and any related forums ....all the signatures collect in one place so if 20 people place it on myspace page and each person collects 20 signatures you can see how it adds up....

most people are reasonable beings and if you explain for everytime i dont drive my gas guzzler to work that leaves gallons of gas in the "supply" i did the math and in a city if 300 people rode motor assist "figure 125mpg" instead of suv they would save between $250,000 - $500,000 per yr my personal savings is $76 per month that goes back to the fuel "supply pool" and gets passed to people who prefer not to ride or cannot.........should be a good thing right..... well in many states they simply will not allow that.....they refuse to vin or tag so you cannot get insured......which would be fine but then they ticket you for no insurance with is on par with DUI in kansas and im sure many other states driving with out insurance will land you in jail.....

i hope that sums up the need for legislative recognition of these......if its still foggy just let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
To my understanding a "Moped" is a motorized Cycle. A motorized bicycle is a motor Assisted bicycle. There is a big diffrence. A primarly human powered bicycle can't be compared with a motor driven cycle. Even morons in the legal system should be able to see the diffrence! If you mount a motor on a baby carrige, does that make it a car? Don't think so.
Later Tramp (c)

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
To my understanding a "Moped" is a motorized Cycle. A motorized bicycle is a motor Assisted bicycle. There is a big diffrence. A primarly human powered bicycle can't be compared with a motor driven cycle. Even morons in the legal system should be able to see the diffrence! If you mount a motor on a baby carrige, does that make it a car? Don't think so.
Later Tramp (c)
In some city/states a "bicycle" with four wheels and a motor is considered a "car" Go figure!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Saddletramp, it depends on where you live, and how moped is defined. A real moped is pretty much just what our bikes are. You can pedal them or use the motor. Lots of places call scooters mopeds, and then you have the whole issue.

it kinda sucks, but I think we need to refer to our bikes as "motor assisted bicycles." That should keep the confusion away.

And it is different for each state. In Colorado, for example, you can ride anything with 2 or 3 wheels that is under 50cc, can't go more than 25mph by design, and has a single speed or automatic transmission without having to have plates or insurance. They do request that you register it though, at a cost of a whopping $5 for 3 years for this class of vehicle. (I need to get around to that one of these days)

So I think for any "online petition" to really work, it would have to be geared on a per-state basis, unless your ultimate goal is to entice change on the Federal level (unlikely to ever happen).

My suggestion would be to gather signatures in your area the old fashioned way - pen and paper. Every time someone talks to you about the bike say "hey if you like this and want these to be legal, sign this" or something. Contact your local lawmakers and tell them what's up.

Just my $0.02.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I SOLD MY STAR CLASSIC 1100CC 2YRS AGO. AT THAT TIME HERE IN FLORIDA, INSURANCE WAS NOT REQUIRED TO GET REGISTRATION AND LICENSE PLATE AND DRIVE. YOU COULD DRIVE WITHOUT HELMET IF YOU HAD PERSONAL COVERAGE. THEY HAVEN`T CHANGED IT THAT I KNOW OF. A LITTLE OFF THE SUBJECT BUT!! I DON`T KNOW IF THATS 2 CENTS WORTH, BUT IT`S ALL I GOT!:bike2: RON

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
We the People, in order to... WHEN I can't ride a little bicycle with a little motor attached to the store without being worried about being Harrased by "The Law" made by Idiots that want to put seat belts on Motorcycles
so they don't have to tell their "friends" that they just collected their check
by showing up this week, It's time for either Canada, Or Mexico. I can do one heck of a lot more damage with a keyboard, than a 25 pound bicycle. I have been riding about everything with wheels for over 40 years, and will for a long time to come. CALL your reps, congress people, janitors, lawyers, ect.
A cop that stops a person on a bicycle, has nothing better to do, IF your not doing something stupid! I've seen a lot of stuff, but being stopped on a bicycle is just silly.rotfl Later Tramp (c)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've seen a lot of stuff, but being stopped on a bicycle is just silly.rotfl Later Tramp (c)
Haha, actually a couple weeks ago I watched some dude on a bicycle (NO motor) get pulled over. he blew through a stop sign apparently. you're right, it is silly - silly to watch when it happens for a legit reason.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
My neighbor Roy D. Redneck told me he can nail 10-14 w/his Ford F-550 before his grill/cattle guard clogs and his motor starts to over heat. I'm in the wrong part of the forum for this. Don't want to get in trouble.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
WE HAVE TO TAKE A BREAK AND LAUGH NOW AND THEN! :D MY FOREHEAD IS WRINGLING UP BAD FROM CONSTIPATING ON THIS MOTOR BIKE ADDICTION I HAVE AQUIRED!rotfl I FEEL LIKE I CONSUMTRATEDrotfl