Sturmey archer xl-rd3 hub adapter

GoldenMotor.com
Oct 11, 2023
I want to run a sturmey xl-rd3 on a 212 build, but I realized that if I’m going to do that, I need an adapter that will fit that hub, and a sprocket that will clear the drum plate and torque arm. Does such a thing exist?

Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Honestly... there's nothing wrong with using a standard coaster brake hub with a hub adapter... They're proven to be reliable, they're simple, plentiful & affordable... & honestly, I think they stop just as well (if not better) than a rear drum brake.

But if you absolutely have to have a rear drum just to be different; Sportsman Flyer had a lot of success using moped rear drum brake hubs... so you might consider going in that direction instead of the Sturmey.

Here's a good example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1261028764...uid=5ltfckvaRVa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Oct 11, 2023
Honestly... there's nothing wrong with using a standard coaster brake hub with a hub adapter... They're simple, reliable, plentiful & affordable... & honestly, I think they stop just as well (if not better) than a rear drum brake.

But if you absolutely have to have a rear drum just to be different, Sportsman Flyer had a lot of success using moped rear drum brake hubs... so you might consider going in that direction.

Here's a good example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1261028764...uid=5ltfckvaRVa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
One main reason for going rear drum is because this bike is going to be titled and registered, and so I would prefer to have front and rear brake lights. It’s going to be a 212 with a charging coil running my lighting system, which is going to be complete with headlight, tail light, brake light and indicators. Unless there is a way I can figure out to throw a brake light switch when pedaling backwards, which I can’t think of, a lever operated rear brake with an integrated brake light switch seems like the easier option. I am looking into moped hubs now.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
One main reason for going rear drum is because this bike is going to be titled and registered, and so I would prefer to have front and rear brake lights. It’s going to be a 212 with a charging coil running my lighting system, which is going to be complete with headlight, tail light, brake light and indicators. Unless there is a way I can figure out to throw a brake light switch when pedaling backwards, which I can’t think of, a lever operated rear brake with an integrated brake light switch seems like the easier option. I am looking into moped hubs now.
Install the brake light switch on the front brake lever... problem solved.

Here ya go... https://www.ebay.com/itm/3938802414...uid=5ltfckvaRVa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think you're making things way more complicated than they need to be... but go for it.

Also... There's no such thing as titling a motorized bicycle... only registering them... & it's usually a 'mail in' process with no inspections

Here's 212cc bike that I built for a customer several years ago... it has 12g Felt cruiser wheels with a coaster brake & a front disc... It's still on the road & the wheels are still SOLID!!
Venice Ruff Cycles Chopper Build | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)

Oct 11, 2023
I think you're making things way more complicated than they need to be... but go for it.

Also... There's no such thing as titling a motorized bicycle... only registering them... & it's usually a 'mail in' process with no inspections

Here's 212cc bike that I built for a customer several years ago... it has 12g Felt cruiser wheels with a coaster brake & a front disc... It's still on the road & the wheels are still SOLID!!
Venice Ruff Cycles Chopper Build | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)
Different rules for different states, brother. In my state, they are titled and registered.

Oct 11, 2023

In my state, they require an initial inspection, but not yearly. The frame is already titled and has a vin, so there isn’t much I can’t do to it. I’m planning and building this to my preferences, and I’m not sure why anyone would care as long as it’s not dangerous or stupid.