Sturmey archer xl-fd axle size

GoldenMotor.com
Oct 11, 2023
Does anyone know if it can take a 10mm axle? And if the stock axle comes out without removing the bearings? I’m going to be running the xlfd hub on Suzuki k10 forks. It would be so much easier if it will accept a 10mm axle without having to change anything

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
it's extremely hard to switch thicker axles into bicycle hubs... the only way I could see it happening is if the hub uses sealed bearings & you found another size bearing to make it all work.

If you're just switching the axle because of the fork?, maybe finding (or making) some shims to make the smaller bicycle axle fit the fork would be a better option?

Oct 11, 2023
it's extremely hard to switch thicker axles into bicycle hubs... the only way I could see it happening is if the hub uses sealed bearings & you found another size bearing to make it all work.

If you're just switching the axle because of the fork?, maybe finding (or making) some shims to make the smaller bicycle axle fit the fork would be a better option?
The hub uses sealed cartridge bearings. I don’t know if that means they are replaceable. The parts diagram for the hub shows the axle being thicker in the middle than on the ends. I don’t know if any of this means the bearings can be removed and replaced with a bearing with the correct ID or not. I am familiar with sealed bearings on motorcycle wheels, but I’m not familiar with sealed “cartridge” bearings. Perhaps there is a 9mm axle the length I need for these forks. Then I would need to figure out how to shim the axle. I’d really like to be able to slide the axle through the dropouts and hub, so I don’t have to cut the dropouts on the fork. If anyone knows a way that I can get the stock axle in the fork without cutting the dropouts, and if it’s long enough and I can shim the axle to fit the dropouts, I’m open to all ideas. I don’t have the hub yet, so I can only go off the parts list diagram and it doesn’t tell me the axle length or any of that.

Oct 11, 2023

another member here ran an xlfd on k10s with a 10mm axle, so it seems it is possible. I have the 10mm axle, actually a NOS K10 axle. That member hasn’t been active here for over a year, but I’m hoping someone can tell me how that was done. Maybe I can find his build thread.

Oct 11, 2023

So I found the thread where the other member explained how it worked. The bearings inside the hub are 10mm. The stock axle steps down to 9mm at the ends, but it will take a standard 10mm motorcycle axle. All I need to do is drill out some of the spacers and get some 10mmx3mm axle spacers and I’m golden.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
XL-FD is a fine brake but it’s too weak for a motorbike IMO. You’d be better off finding a drum brake on eBay and putting fresh brake shoes in it. Also it would fit the brake plate notch on the forks perfectly.

You can fit a 10mm axle but you’ll have to fabricate a spacer for between the bearings’ inner races, also then you’d be able to just slide it through.

On mine I ran a drum brake hub off a 1969 Yamaha 175cc dirtbike, upgraded the hub bearings to 12mm and drilled out the fork dropouts to suit.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon