Stripped threads for sprocket cover "aka" clutch lever cover

GoldenMotor.com

Nate0419

Dec 1, 2021
Ok so I'm extremely new to this and I've tried everything I know to do. In need of some advice asap!
There are two bolts for my clutch cover that aren't tightening up at all just spinning not grabbing anything. The longest bolt that allows me to put the chain cover on is still tightening up just fine. The other two on top and bottom are just spinning. I recently put a spring loaded chain tensioner on that mounts directly over the clutch cover. That's when I think I stripped it. I'm not sure if I striped the bolts or if I stripped the mount itself. The bolts look fine. But they are also the stock bolts that came with the kit and the kit most definitely came from China. I'm not sure what kit it is or what cc it is. I do know at top notch it puts me at 37mph. I'm extremely lost here fellas.
I lost my license last year due to a massive accident I was in and this is my only way of transportation to and from work. Please help a guy out. I've had this thing for roughly two weeks maybe three now.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can try longer screws to reach good threads, if that doesn’t work you may have to tap the holes the next size larger. The holes should be 6mm if I remember correctly. You will need to drill the cover as well for larger screws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate0419

Nate0419

Dec 1, 2021
Thank you I'll give that a try right now. Would you happen to know why my bucking bar won't allow my clutch cover to go on all the way? I have both old and new bucking bars the old one will fit just fine and I can still engage and disengage the clutch but not all the way I've tightened up the clutch cable as much as I can without letting the clutch lever slap the carburator.
With the new bucking bar the entire clutch cover assembly is almost a 1/4 of an inch away from the the mounts.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What I generally suggest if a metric screw hole is stripped, sometimes you can tap out for a standard size screw. It may be slightly bigger than the stripped screw hole but smaller than the next size up metric screw.

Nate0419

Dec 1, 2021
Thank you I'll keep that in mind. I'm still currently in need of knowing what the problem is with my bucking bar. The clutch cover is completely off along with the flower nut and the bucking bar just will not go in all the way.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The bar protruding too far indicates to me you need to tighten the flower nut some on the clutch plate, this will make the clutch engage crisper too.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As you tighten the flower nut it compresses the spring inside the cases and pulls the bar deeper into the cases.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Reactions: Greg58

Nate0419

Dec 1, 2021
As you tighten the flower nut it compresses the spring inside the cases and pulls the bar deeper into the cases.
Thank you for the advice.
Although I actually figured it out before I read this I just got back from a ride.
I reckon I must tell y'all that I'm totally new to this site and motorcycling, So it's quite possible I am posting in the wrong thread. This was honestly a last stitch effort for me, I'm a very independent do it my self kinda guy.

That being said I am still very grateful for the help and advice.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
No problem, we all had to start somewhere. If you have questions you can start a thread in that subject area and get lots of help.

Reactions: Nate0419

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Curt what I was saying is if he has a carburetor or hub problem he could start a thread in either section. Dog catcher is not tho only one to do that, it’s not a mistake if you realize it and remove it right?