Stripped rear axel nut

GoldenMotor.com

ratherstrangelad

Oct 19, 2020
Hi all,
So I was an idiot and tightened my right rear axel nut too much and stripped its threads. I took the wheel off and tried to knock it off but it's stuck on there pretty good. Anyone ever experienced this/have any suggestions to get it off?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Hi all,
So I was an idiot and tightened my right rear axel nut too much and stripped its threads. I took the wheel off and tried to knock it off but it's stuck on there pretty good. Anyone ever experienced this/have any suggestions to get it off?
If it's just the nut threads that are striped you should be able to unscrew the bearing cone nut and force that against the stripped nut. Then by unscrewing both at the same time the stripped nut should come off. Your gonna have to double nut the other side of the axle and hold it with a vice or a wrench.
If the axle threads are stripped your gonna need to replace the axle

Reactions: chainmaker

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Dremel comes in handy too. I did like Wrench did. I was needing to save the cone nuts and one was stuck between two stripped nuts. Dremel cut the axle as it was garbage anyway. Then Amazon or Ebay with exact thread pitch, diameter, and length got new axle and all back together. I like using the rear axle nuts with built in slip washer. This type less problem trying to move inside the drop out when tightening and also chewing up the drop out slot too.They are expensive like 5 dollars each when you can find them. Torque wrench might be handy.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Get a nut splitter, split and remove the damaged nut. Then run a thread chaser over the axle shaft. Then you should be able to remove the inner nut without further damage.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Use the advice given by Wrench and invest in a set of thread files.. I just saved a mint set of forks from the trash can that had a stripped thread..24tpi