Stock sprocket opinions.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
While I have messaged some some people here about this subject, I'd like to get a broad range of opinions so that viewers like me can learn or re-learn around this subject.

My stock sprocket center hole does not fit on my hub.How should I tackle this problem?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it's on a rag joint you can wrap tape around the hub till you get it centered, or the like. You could even hole saw some plywood for a big washer then save it for realigning..........Curt

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
So in other words..i don't need the rag joint to FIT into my dust cover...just align it right and tighten it down?

What happens if I just remove the bearing cover and place the sprocket onto the wheel?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not sure about that, never fit one yet, just going by what others have done. See if others chime in here...........Curt

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
on coaster brakes, the hub cap will not fit thru hole in sprocket - for $8 I enlarge the hole for my customers that are unwise enough to use a coaster brake - for repair customers that are eating up bearings because they threw the hub cap away, I make them one out of a milk jug cap for $1, but it should be replaced after 6 months or so (it does go in from outside tho, so no big deal)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can remove the dust cover & bolt the sprocket straight onto the spokes without a rag joint in between, but the metal on metal will eventually cause the spokes to break (unless you have quality 12ga spokes).

However you choose to install it?, you'll have to trim the edges of the dust cover so it won't touch the sprocket when re-installed.

You'll also run into the problem of the sprocket being closer to the hub (& causing the chain to rub on the tire).

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a pic of how I install my sprockets (with 12ga spokes).

Keep in mind that I have a bit of a complicated way of doing it because the chain will hit the tire without offsetting the rim from the hub.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I'm not sure everybody understood your question due to lack of exact vernacular
For describing these parts. Just explain your question in more detail unless you did in fact get your answer. Bike make. Photos of parts would help too.

I think you are talking about your dust cap that goes under the coaster brake arm. If so you need to grind down the edges of the cap to fit so it does not on contact your kit sprocket. Then the arm needs to be bent in sort of an s shape so it clears the sprocket as it turns. You should use the altered dust cap to keep crud out and grease in. you do need the rubber between the kit sprocket and the spokes as Venice said and as crassius said you could make a cap out of plastic but they don't last very long based on personal experience as he said. This linked video should answer all for kit sprocket installation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMsIB8SeDc

If your talking about a Cnc sprocket wrong answer...sorry/ ask again

Zip

Last edited: