Staton-Inc NuVinci HondaGXH50 rack mount

GoldenMotor.com

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
I just picked up a Raleigh Retro Glide 7 cruiser and I'm thinking about setting it up with the Staton-Inc rack mount kit with the 49cc Honda 4 stroke and the NuVinci hub. A friend of mine has the Staton Inc chain drive kit on his bike and that thing seems pretty bomb proof...he is very happy with it. The NuVinci set up sure looks sweet though....the best of both worlds so to speak. Has anyone had any experience with these ???

Thanks,
Stu Harrod

NebraskaNutz

Jul 3, 2008
I have that setup.... been running it for about 2 weeks now. I haven't finished breaking in the motor yet... but so far, so good. The whole assembly is quite heavy - but I have a full-suspension bike with a Cane Creek rear and Judy up front so the ride is still decent. The kill switch that comes with the kit has too long of screw supplied with it - so be sure to shorten it by 3/32 or you'll never start the engine. The kit instructions are poor in my opinion - but if you're mechanically inclined (or declined) it's a pretty straightforward install. I have my bike setup for commuting with discs front and rear, Conti Town & Country tires and the usual other bits - and I'm pretty satisfied overall. Staton comes up short in my experience in quality control (they forgot to put the crank bolt in the clutch assembly - spun the clutch off the end of the crank), their instructions are not clear or organized in a logical fashion (IMHO), and the quality of some small components (the kill switch - others with the kit have had the same problem) - shipping took quite long with no communication unless I asked..... However... missteps aside the gearbox, NuVinci hub kit is probably one of the best available. Hope that helps - Chris :ride2:

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks Chris....I kind of figured the instructions are just a general guideline anyway since every bike frame is a little different. I appreciate the heads up on the kill switch. Little things like that can drive you nuts lol. I was just hoping this set up would be worth the extra money, and perform as advertised.... especially since I have to build up a new back wheel for the Nuvinci hub. I'll probably be adding a suspension seat post since the bike has no suspension , so we'll see how that works out. We have a lot of hills here in Kentucky and this set up seems to make sense.

NebraskaNutz

Jul 3, 2008
Oh hills you say.... this is the setup for you. I commute everyday over steep railroad crossing overpasses, highway overpasses and rolling hills - no problems.... definitely worth the money :)

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks a bunch Chris ! That's what I was hoping to hear. I ordered the complete Honda GXH50/Nuvinci kit & new back wheel this morning! Judging by the pictures on the website, the engine looks rather huge compared to the others lol....but I think it will be exactly what I need around here especially on those occasions I pull a small trailer to haul a few groceries or to give my dog Baxter a ride around the neighborhood :D

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
I understand TJ....my other dog (Chance) would definately not go for that... but Baxter, well Baxter is a cruiser kind of dog. He's built for comfort, not speed lol. That being said, I would never take him bouncing around town at 25-30 mph ......just slow, smooth, and easy rides around our subdivision....he would enjoy that as his odd structure and arthritis prevents him from walking very far.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think the GSX50 and gear box would fit inside a modified milk crate ??? I would like to at least somewhat conceal the engine without restricting the air flow. Nothing unusual about seeing a milk crate bungee corded to the back of a bicycle.

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Milk Crate, Hmmmmm Good Idea I have no clue what size theese things are. As for my Jenny dog She just likes everyone when i stop she would want to go play with whomever is arournd.......She's just a little rambuctious.

NebraskaNutz

Jul 3, 2008
Unless really necessary...like you HAVE to be incognito, I think the air flow reduction would raise engine temps and shorten engine life. If you did do it.. you would certainly want the best synthetic oil you could buy (Amsoil/Mobil) to keep the pricey little Honda alive :)