Squeal in Front Chain Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
The bike has been running for a week, I thought it was a little early for greasing, but I am getting a squeal from the clutch arm housing, with the engine off as I move the bike back and forth the squeal is coming from the clutch arm housing, in neutral the chain moves, back and forth also, so I guess its the small sprocket, is this common, if I need to grease it, do I disassemble the clutch cable? where to grease?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can try taking the clutch cable holder out and shooting some heavy oil in there....or return it for warranty claim.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't know, I haven't heard it.

It shouldn't make any squealing noises though. I'd at least make the seller aware and ask what they suggest. You don't want to find out on day 31 of a 30 day warranty that it's a major bearing in the sprocket shaft that needs to be replaced do you?

Could it be something else on the bike that is causing the noise? Take the chain off and roll it, see what happens. While you have the chain off, turn the sprocket with your hand see if it makes noise and if you can feel it.

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Fairracing31,
thanks I'll check it out, but for now I have my hands in it, and my question is to Bike Guy Joe, I have the clutch arm plate off and the chain off the rear sprocket, now, you are saying ? take off the chain, from the front small sprocket ? How to turn the sprocket by hand with the chain off ? the rear sprocket but still on the front ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
What about the clutch post that depresses the clutch ? I took it out, the other day I put some heavy lube on the chain, this post has a very dry lube on the depression end, I believe it is compacted with possibly clutch wear dust, prior to this I checked the clutch housing 4 days ago and noticed some clutch wear fuzz ! Do you recognize any symptoms ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
If you are speaking of removing the plug and turning by hand, "using the kit wrench", OK, but this occurs mainly in neutral, wait a minute, I know it is when the chain is moving in neutral which means the rear wheel is moving, correct ? this then I think applies to coasting correct ? Well I have it apart now I'll put it back together and check again, as soon as you tell me exactly where to squirt the oil.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I realize it's Sunday night and it's 11 pm so while I'm getting my greasy finger prints all over my key board, I really don't expect to much, but I'll be on it till I get it fixed.

Now the, "clutch cable holder", has got to be the first stop from the clutch lever on the handle bars to the engine, if so your saying (Bike Guy 31), unbolt and squirt the oil in here?

If so OK no problem, I have 3in1, and the Sunoco, air-water oil I use in the gas mix, other than that I have some Multi Purpose heavy Duty Lithium grease.

Now about the clutch lever post that slides out of the center nut holding in the small chain sprocket, should that be lubed, and or the nut and what is behind it ?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I realize it's Sunday night and it's 11 pm so while I'm getting my greasy finger prints all over my key board, I really don't expect to much, but I'll be on it till I get it fixed.

Now the, "clutch cable holder", has got to be the first stop from the clutch lever on the handle bars to the engine, if so your saying (Bike Guy 31), unbolt and squirt the oil in here?

Yes that is where it needs to be lubed.......

If so OK no problem, I have 3in1, and the Sunoco, air-water oil I use in the gas mix, other than that I have some Multi Purpose heavy Duty Lithium grease.

I would use the Lithium Grease..........

Now about the clutch lever post that slides out of the center nut holding in the small chain sprocket, should that be lubed, and or the nut and what is behind it ?

Take the clutch cover off, remove the rod going into center of sprocket, and th ball in front of the rod. Lube the ball, insert in hole, then the rod, insert in hole, also grease the arm that in the clutch cover.....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Yes, on the top of the gearcase, where the cable housing ends and the cable comes out and is hooked to the clutch arm. Remove the lock nut, and holder. There will be a hole you can see down inside the engine....put some gear lube, motor oil or spray some chain lube down there.

What I was saying before was if you remove the chain, and move the bike, does the sqealing stop, or can you still hear it? (indicating a wheel bearing or other problem.) If you remove the chain and the spark plug and turn the small sprocket by hand, can you hear any noise? (indicating a bearing or shaft problem.)

As for the rod/ball, spray some carb or brake cleaner where you saw the metal dust and the ball should just fall out when you tip the bike onto it's side. Oil all of those parts and re-assemble.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Bike Guy,
How'd you do that the link you sent me with the diagram plus message is not here in this thread ?

Anyway, the diagram, ( no criticism toward you intended), is hard to determine that 32 is a threaded post that is a cable holder, however, I did get the scheme of things and it is off.

I will gets some lube going, in there.

I did get the chain off and turned the crank by hand, nothing seemed abnormal, i.e., no screech or squeal, easy turning, etc.

The front wheel bearing is silent, it is slightly possible that the clutch gear cover on the opposite side, may have been a little tight and the gasket was pinched, there may have been some metal to metal contact, but this is undetermined at this time.

I'm looking around for some brake cleaner.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK got the ball out and stuck a finger tip full of wheel bearing grease in there and replaced the ball replaced the shaft lubed and will grease the arm and recover.

Now the upper clutch cable holder entrance, how much lub goes here, like I don't want to have an over lube stuffed in there when it has no place to go but through the clutch seals. shall I put a few drops of engine oil in there with some bearing grease or what ?

What about the other side of the clutch assembly, . . with the cover off, . showing one large gear and one small gear, should these receive any lube while I'm at it ?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd just put a few drops of motor oil in there prefferably with an oil can so you can shoot it at the bearings, or better yet, get a can of white lithium grease and shoot the bearings directly. While you have the clutch cover off, look at the inside of the cover to see if anything was rubbing and grease the gears with a LITTLE grease- if you over do it, it will end up in the clutch. Take your time and spread it on each gear tooth with a bamboo skewer, toothpick (kinda small) or a chopstick. Sometimes (if it is the gears) the sound never goes away.

Also, looky here- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK, I put a few drops of multi purpose into a straw and dropped it in,
I than added a finger tip full of lube stuck it in the hole a refit the post bolt. I'll do the gears as per your instructions, ("each tooth"), I assume this is enough on the large gear to lub the small gear.
The inside cover has some ever so slight indication that something may have been spinning while touching it. However it does seem microscopic.

Well. I'll adjust the clutch and give it a try, we'll see, thanks much !

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Alrighty then. Yeah the cover is a very thing cast aluminum and even the slightest touch of the gear or clutch will make a lot of noise...it also amplifies the gear noise. And yes, the big gear will lube the small one. You don't even have to get every tooth, it's just that some folks want to glob on a big wad of grease in one spot and hope it works it's way in....it will, but you'll have a mess and a slipping clutch.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I gave it a run for about 5 mins., and no squeal for now, I don't know what the future has in store, crossed fingers for anything like gear bearings.
Thanks alot !