Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition

GoldenMotor.com

dv8cam

Dec 15, 2008
Los Angeles
Yea, I wondered why nobody noticed the hubs myself, it actually took a fair amout of effort to figure out what to run. I have been building the wheels for all of these projects, and I will say these hubs are the bomb. They utilize the same basic casting as the worksman front hubs but have much heavier guts. Rear axles are 12mm in diameter (nearly 1/2 inch) and the fronts are nearly as heavy at 11mm. They are just about as stout as they come, much heavier than std bicycle stuff.

The fact they also have dual sprockets out of box is the real secret. No clamp on sprocket adapters here folks, these are superior to anything else out there short of motorcycle hubs. With our foray into real horse power, we needed the hardware to stop these machines, but that is really only the beginning.

For most, these bikes have a nice loop and good lines, but that is only the start. These are truly spec bikes -literally. Pat has full CAD drawings for the frames and each bike is built to actual blueprints. It took quite awile to do the initial engineering and to build the first bike, but now the bikes are entering the production phase. Each bike will be precision built to the same exacting standards. Designed and built in the USA! How many builders can make that claim? The fit and finish are first rate.

We are two short weeks away from the maiden voyage of the Morini motored models. The first China motored version was built weeks ago, and already the Whizzer models are rolling out. Pat already has 5 framesets done and the next 10 are already spoken for.

Better get in line now...
Those wheels are nice. Who makes the hubs? How much are you selling the hubset with sprocket? How much for the wheel build with black alloy Worksman rims? Great job guys. Some of the best builds on this site by far!

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat, just curious will the Sportsman Racer Deluxe be sold completed ready to ride with a Morini engine as a completed bike?

Or are the Morini engines sold separately?

Will you be selling the morini engine or will a customer need to purchase it from a different supplier?

Thanks & Keep up the amazing Works of Art that you are producing !!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.
Gotta love it American Made Motorized Bicycles, cept the engine of course!
usflg

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
Yes, it is a drum brake rear. I figured with 9.4 hp brakes would be important! Cool thing is I have been able to maintain engine and frame centerlines. This Morini is not offset to the right. The crank was a challange and I tried all the available options, none of which have the standard one piece crank sprocket mounting. So when you can't find what you need you make it. My bro has been helping a huge amount on this project. When it came to the crank assembly I held the torch and he handled the leverage with a big piece of pipe. Problem solved! Front bicycle side is a 28t Worksman sprocket.
how do i get a price on your drop loop frames??w3hat is the website? i want to use a grubee 4 stroke kit...do you make a frame for it? VERY INTRESTED THANKYOU.wee.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Oldsurferdude,
I have had a bunch of requests for mounting the four stroke EZM kit to one of my stretch frames, not the Grubee four stroke. Currently I have mounts for the Morini, Whizzer and Grubee two stroke. I can do it but I want the engine here so it can be properly engineered. You can email me.
Pat

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
Couple shots from the shop. This is the new Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition. A stretch and loop Flyer frame using a widened Worksman rear triangle. 9.4 hp Morini engine with custom mounts. Front and rear drum brakes on steel Worksman rims. One of my stainless laser cut tanks designed for this frame model. This thing is going to haul ass!

this is my second build and i am doing a felt 1903..i ordered a stumry archer 90mm front brake .i have used the grubee rear hub last time but the belt brake it comes with is useless...what are you using for your rear drum brake setupdance1? I know with that speed this thing is capable of...you need to STOP!

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
This bike is on the road now, just thru the first tank of gas. The brakes are awesome, the rear drum works very well.

It's a brand new unit, and the tolerances are very good, as a result, I was able to adjust it so it picks up very quickly, with very little play, resulting in a very firm lever with excellent stopping power. Sooo much better than the coaster brake units of our previous builds. Also, the bolt on drive sprocket is quite nice, the chain runs true and quiet. As nice as these hubs are, the offsets are wrong for the china motors, so if that is what you're running, you should shop elsewhere.

Overall, this is a pretty solid bike, about as well sorted as they come.

Rich

Last edited:

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
This bike is on the road now, just thru the first tank of gas. The brakes are awesome, the rear drum works very well.

It's a brand new unit, and the tolerances are very good, as a result, I was able to adjust it so it picks up very quickly, with very little play, resulting in a very firm lever with excellent stopping power. Sooo much better than the coaster brake units of our previous builds. Also, the bolt on drive sprocket is quite nice, the chain runs true and quiet. As nice as these hubs are, the offsets are wrong for the china motors, so if that is what you're running, you should shop elsewhere.

Overall, this is a pretty solid bike, about as well sorted as they come.

Rich
no i will be using a 4 stroke kit...again where did you get the rear hub?will it work with a 4stroke kit? you can get a lot of adjustment out of these 4stroke kits

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
hey surfer dude,

We got a box deal on some NOS hubs, enough to build out our bikes with a few extras to build into wheel sets. i've also torn down a couple sets of moped wheels for the hubs.

There are lots of different brands available, all the mopeds in the late 70's and early 80's had various forms of drum hubs. Some are steel, some aluminum. All of the ones we've played with require 130mm to 135mm dropout spacing. Most single speed bicycles use a 110mm space, so these are a full inch wider. For these builds, we knock out the stock fender braces so we can widen the frames then weld new braces back in. That way, the widening is done properly so we don't just wedge out the dropouts.

I have no idea what your sprocket/chain specs are so i don't know how well these might work for you. For the right appication, they're a good choice.

Rich

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pat,

You've done a really nice job on this project.

A BIG "Thumbs-up" from someone who can really appreciate the work it took!

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Can you please contact me, I am searching out a BTR frame for a J model whizzer, and for some reason I cant send the email out on your site. Looking for frame and tank setup only. thanks Chopperjoe

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Couple shots from the shop. This is the new Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition. A stretch and loop Flyer frame using a widened Worksman rear triangle. 9.4 hp Morini engine with custom mounts. Front and rear drum brakes on steel Worksman rims. One of my stainless laser cut tanks designed for this frame model. This thing is going to haul ass!

Could you please contact me, would love to purchase a frame and tank setup for a J model Whizzer. thanks joe [email protected]

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
you know, that vintage photo on your temp website of the board track racers reminds me of something i had almost forgotten about. did you ever see the second wizard of oz movie where dorothy comes back to oz and meets some kind of robot thing carrying a lunch pail? well in that scene there were some creepy looking characters with wheels for hands and feet......that picture reminds me of those things.......weird huh.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Congratulations...A true representation of our art and Hobby. Its really beautiful. You should be proud of it.
I really like the under and over exhaust routing.
Just one tiny glitch that I see is that serious kink in the exhaust spigot location, that will seriously hamper exhaust flow and performance.
I would humbly like to offer an altenative.
Using a few readily obtainable Stainless steel bends I would make the spigot longer and angled to the left side of the frames down tube, then wrap the head tube around the down tube and then into the tuned expansion chamber-
(many old school loop frame single cylinder racers of the early 1900s used this arrangement)
That severe a bend is really going to hamper top end flow.(I bet that kink glows Chery red at night!)
Some times you just have to take the long way around to get were you want to go faster!
Please understand Im not knit picking in any way its still gorgeous...
Love the silencer placement on the righ/drive side.
No top rear motor mount?
Id polish everything and clear coat it all Raw Metal, maybe a few old timey racing numbers and decals?
Some Leather for the saddle?
Its gonna be a real monster either way.
Very nice build.
BBB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
BBB,
The first bend is not as tight as it may appear. If you take it off and look inside it actually has a nicely radiused flow path. Typically I only build these bikes to a fairly complete kit, but this one I will finish out. It will be getting an Indian Red paint job, leather wrap grips, gas tank and oil tank logos, and the seat will be padded and leather covered. I will update the forum with more pictures as the build progresses.
Pat