Spark Plug Issues

GoldenMotor.com

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Anyone have any performance related issues with a champion CY7J plug? The cheap stock chinese plug was giving me gap problems (it seemed to increase the gap clearance on its own every time I set it).

The CY7J plug makes my engine run smoother but I seem to have a little less horsepower with it.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

:crash::crash::crash::crash:

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
Use a NGK B5HS plug. Ever since i put one in it seems to run a lot better. I think its one step hotter then that champ. plug you are running.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Iam running a L86C champion , gapped at 28 and its running smooth my top speed on flat ground has been 37.9 mph and Iam happy with that!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Iam running a L86C champion , gapped at 28 and its running smooth my top speed on flat ground has been 37.9 mph and Iam happy with that!

Just give it some time!!rotfl

Seriously - I've used Champion plugs from time to time since I was 15. EVERY ONE I mean EVERY ONE has fouled on me. I'm now 50. Three stories.

1) Suzuki TM125 - Champion plug. Fouled within an hour. NGK perfect.

2) Datsun 510 - Champion plugs. Gap perfect, nothing else changed. Within 1000 miles, car difficult to start. Soon, wouldn't start at all. Install NGK, starts right up runs rest of it's useful life on NGK with no issues.

3) Screw this, let's go fishing. Friend's four banger boat. Fresh plugs and off we go....we are trolling....engine starts missing really bad.....nice....out in the middle of the Puget Sound....well we can fish some more....we lose another cylinder....oh man we better head back, thank God within 100 yards of the boat ramp we lose cylinder #3.....so we make it back and I ask him what kind of plugs he used.... "Champion".....

4) Chainsaw maintenance time. Runs sweet, but I figure I'll get a new plug. All they have at True Value is Champion. Install the new plug. Won't start. Put old plug back in. Starts right up.

I think I learned my lesson.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Great! Thanks for the info! I'll try a NGK B5HS before I go riding down the freeway again. I do like the fact that the Champion plug is shorter and gives me more clearance from the front wheel however I also noticed that the part of the plug that screws into the head on the Champion plug is shorter than the original plug. That might have something to do with it.

But hey! I think anything is better than that piece of crap plug that came with the engine.

Also I'm really interested in trying synthetic oil. I'm at or near the break in period - ok, I may have messed up by breaking the motor in by climbing an 11% grade hill at full throttle for 6 or 7 miles and a few daily 60+ mile outings but it still seems to run great - however I'm somewhat nervous about the mixing ratios of synthetics. 50:1 or even 35:1 seems like too little oil.

James.

P.S. The only issues I've had creep up on me so far is a bad intake gasket and a leaky exhaust gasket. I made a new intake gasket but I ran into the same issue as with the tank sealant. I spent $40 on a quart of sealant and used 3 out of 32 ounces of it. I buy 12" x 15" high temp gasket material and use a 2" x 2" piece. Geeze.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Also I'm really interested in trying synthetic oil. I'm at or near the break in period - ok, I may have messed up by breaking the motor in by climbing an 11% grade hill at full throttle for 6 or 7 miles and a few daily 60+ mile outings but it still seems to run great - however I'm somewhat nervous about the mixing ratios of synthetics. 50:1 or even 35:1 seems like too little oil.
35:1 is perfectly fine for a HT engine. You could run all day long with a good synthetic mixed 35:1

50:1 may be a bit oil lean for this rough little engine, but it will survive. Once broken in I recommend 25:1 to 40:1, depending on the usage, ambient temps, etc