Solid Layback Seat Post

GoldenMotor.com

DanVal

Oct 22, 2018
Just ran across an older post where a member was building these layback seat posts. If they are still available I would like to order a few. Please contact me for specifics
Thanks DanVal

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I made my own lay back seatpost by using a long seatpost (appx. 14 inches) into which I hammered the thickest piece of rebar that would fit. Then I bent the post to my exact need. It's solid and I will do it again for future builds. I got the long seatpost from a municipal sponsored bicycle recyle depot. Cheap parts.

DanVal

Oct 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply, Chaz. I would think that with the rebar tight in the seat tube it would prevent buckling when bending as well. I imagine you used a torch to heat so it could be bent. Looks like yo need a shave too. Thanks again, DanVal

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Inked1974 makes solid layback posts at any angle you desire. However, it looks like its been a while since he's been on the site. Didn't look to see if his actual e-mail was listed in his profile.

Good luck!

DanVal

Oct 22, 2018
Reporting back on my layback seat post attempts. I followed Chaz's advice and made my own. The first attempt was a fail using a 5/8" metal forming steak I found in the rebar section at Home Depot. The darn thing was a perfect fit but it snapped in two ruining the seat post along with it. Attempt #2. Using 3 smaller pieces of rebar, (they bend) jammed them in tight and made the bend in several 1/4 increments to achieve the correct angle I needed. It worked great! I appreciate the help. Thanks! DanVal