Sites trying to sell "Performance parts"

GoldenMotor.com

Homer J.

Feb 5, 2020
I've never been one to ask questions...So I've built this thing being very green by way of you tube and forums much like this...so I've spent many hours on the net. My bike seems to be happy ..in line and riding pretty decent so far. Which brings me to going faster...There are so many so called performance goodies on line that it's overwhelming...Sooo....I would like the opinion of those in the know...What is actually worth the money...It's a standard Chinese engine kit....the unihead design...44 tooth hub adapter. I've replaced the plug wire..ground the trans sprocket for chain fitment and of course new ngk plug. Removed some baffling and cut some slits in the tiny internal exhaust tube on the end cap...An experienced man's opinion would be appreciated...

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You've reduced the back pressure that always helps, a good expansion chamber has been the best upgrade I've found. If it's running fairly well I would put a few hundred miles on it first then start upgrading, always do one thing at a time so you know if it made a difference. A lot of people do several things at once and can't determine what helps or hurts performance.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome Homer, I watched and built for several years before my first post. I agree with Greg on the best bolt on being an x-chamber for improved performance you can build on and power you can feel from low to upper midrange. Typically not much difference in top speed though, 3mph or so with some x-pipes of the low cost true bolt on pipe category. Custom made true motorcycle race pipes are a different matter altogether. In my experience performance is built on rather than bolt on so each bolt on addition requires a bit of tuning as well, carb tuning for example. Something like changing to a high flow air filter may cause the engine to run a little lean for example. Same when you change to the x-chamber. Chop the plug and tune carb when required. It's a process like Greg said. Keep things simple one change at a time as your learning what these engines like and the next one you might do all the mods you favor at one time. Eventually your power will increase to the point where if you still want more speed you can drop to a smaller rear sprocket without having to pedal much if any at stops or hills. Bolt on parts bring some nice, though limited performance benefits. Internal engine work is eventually required to bring all the bolt on equipment to life for real. Buy parts build performance.

Have fun and ask questions when you feel like it.

Rick C.

Homer J.

Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for replying fellas. I'm definitely gonna build another but next time I'm gonna get an engine with a two piece head. This unihead deal would be a bear to get a dremmel into. "I recon anyway" As far as any mods to this one I will log some miles in between so I know it I've helped or hurt the situation.