Simple bike question.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Simple question two:

Does anyone know how to take the bar out of a welded on kickstand. I cut the last one with a hacksaw and I'm NOT looking forward to that again. I need to take about an inch off it. I can also hacksaw that off but I sure don't want to do that. Those kicker bars are really touch on these old bikes.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon, do you have a Dremmel tool. They make the little cutting blades for them that work pretty good. Much easier than a hacksaw. I use mine for working on bikes and airplanes. The fiber reinforced blades are much better than the non fiber reinforced...............................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I use a cutoff on a drill if i really need to. I don't usually put one together just for something this small. What I did was to put a piece of pipe on the end of the kicker and bend it out. Looks like dog do but it works.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Simple question two:

Does anyone know how to take the bar out of a welded on kickstand. I cut the last one with a hacksaw and I'm NOT looking forward to that again. I need to take about an inch off it. I can also hacksaw that off but I sure don't want to do that. Those kicker bars are really touch on these old bikes.
When you say welded on kickstand, if you mean a Schwinn Kickstand, there is a special tool made for removing these stands. If you turn the bike upside down and look at the bottom of the tube that holds the stand you will see a hole with a pin in it. What you have to accomplish is to put inward pressure on the bushing to take the load off the pin, then pull the pin with a pair of pliers. The shop in your area that used to be a Schwinn dealer will have the proper tool. Or go to the oldest bike shop in town they probably have one as well.

ocscully

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks for the info. I just bent that one out but I will see what is what and go to the bike shop if I don't figure it out. I should have thought of the bike shop except they really hate me there lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now I have a problem that has some more simple solution than I know. I picked up a kids 16" bike for the front wheel. As a bonus I got two brake levers cables are toast. I did use one of the brake mechanisms on a bike but it needs new pads. None of that is the problem....

I really do like the handlebars. Very cool looking to me but they are that mongoose trail bike configuration. I need to take the goose neck or whatever it is called out to switch them. Can't just slide them into the one on the bike.

Now if I recall correctly and I think I do. When I start cranking the tension off the bolt, there is a sorta round sorta wedge shaped rod at the bottom of the bolt. At some point I can remove the goosie without that wedge thingie coming loose or do I have to crank it till it comes off. Sorry I just cant remember. My memory was the first thing to go alright.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon, just loosen the bolt up "pretty good" and give it a whack down with a board or wooden mallet. That will push the wedge down and out of the wedged position. Then you can pull the neck out. You might have to twist it back and forth a bit if it has any rust accumulated down there. If it's stuck you might spray a little lubricant down in there and then get it started turning back and forth.......................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the handle bars changed out today it went just fine. Except the new bars needed a longer clutch cable. Piece of cake.. thanks Bob...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Simple bike question 31

I hope there is a simple answer. If you know about weedeater's you know they have short throttle cables. the one I am working on has a very nice end attached to the carb already. I need to marry a long cable to go up to my handle bars.

Both cables are stranded wire but different thicknesses. I have tried a couple of simple things but nothing has been satisfactory yet. So if you have an idea please let me know. Something simple would be nice.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can solder cables together with silver solder and if you do an internet search, you can find the old sailors way of tying two cable ends together.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got them together with nothing so fancy

I had a mending strip laying around. It is a flat piece of metal with a hole drilled in each end. About an inch long. I ran one cable through each of the holes. Then put a bolt washer lock washer and nut on each. Each cable is clamped in two places plus had the extra drag of the bar as well. If it where a brake I wouldn't even bother but a throttle has almost no real pressure. It worked great today. Thanks for the info though.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
bicycle parts are easier than clams on a good alaskan beach. here in seattle a group gathered 10,000 in a week to send into africa. i live in a small town 35mi. outside seattle and i can see hundreds of bicycles that never move. north bend has been yuppified, the local bike shop is full of bikes from 1-8 thousand. seattle police send thousands of bikes to the crusher a year. thats america