shouted at and push off the road by a man in a white van

GoldenMotor.com

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Today I was riding down a street, a couple of streets from my house and a man walking his dog comes up to me almost pushing me of my bike yelling "get off that thing,get it off the road". So i just rode off later when I rode past his house again he was pulling out of his driveway in a white van and he stoped and started yelling at me. So i slowed down to see where he was going and he turned around and started chasing me so I just gased it and was thinking of a getaway run. I rode fullball up a road clos by and he chased up to me and pushed me onto the right side of the road and onto the grass. I had no where to go so I stop and he stop right beside me. He started yelling at me like "I have a sick wife and I dont like the noice and that he will call up the cops and report me and get them on to me".
There was a lady standing near by and heard the lot and when he was done YELLING at me I looked at her and she just waved her head.
I told this to my neighbour and he said i should ring up the cops and report him for running me of the road and chasing me as I didn't do anything to him first,and he said next time I see him I should let him have the finger. I am going to ring up the cop by I am going to drive by and get his house number and his van plates.

Thanks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, that sucks. I have a neighbor like that and is maddening. (not about MB, just a cramudgien jerk) You should go to the cops. Endangering you because of a noise complaint is very wrong. I would print out local DMV (not sure what it is called in Australia) codes that state that you are legal. If I was the responding officer, I would ask. Please keep posting on this. Mean folks suck, get meaner...

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Best of luck bud. (American for mate, lol) I know it is no fun to argue but no one has the right to curtail your rights either. Much less endanger you. Let us know how this unfolds.

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
well the cops came and said that they are getting them off the road and that i can not ride it on the road anymore so well i am bumbed the only thing i can ride is a petal ASSISTED motor bicycle that does not go over 200watts, so what type of motor could i use that is petal ASSISTED.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
regardless of the legality of the ride the man shouldn't have run you off the road. If I were in your shoes, when I saw him or went by his house I"d cut the engine. pedal and coast by his place and when far enough away start her up again.

Does he also run people off their lawns when they mow, weed whack(whipper snipper), or drive by in a loud car? Sometimes people who are dealing with a sick family member need an outlet for their rage at slowly and painfully loosing their loved one, and they take it out in horribly inappropriate ways.

As far as the cops should have been concerned, the ride shouldn't have mattered, unless he placed a complaint on you regarding an illegal vehicle? At least here in the states.

His behavior is outrageous.

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
thanks all,its making me feel better, I have to give up my china girl,it gives me a sad felling giving up my hobby that I loved and i am going to have to take up another hobby but i dont think any could be just as ir better than this one!!

Thanks

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey 4wdingman, Where u from what state??
Im from QLD ( as u can tell from my name)
Yer i know in this state it isnt fully legal to ride my china but its just 2 much fun and i stick to all the bak roads.
the only power assisted bike under 200W u can get is electric.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If I am reading this correctly, you might have to register but is legal. Forgive me, I do not know if this is the municipality you live in.

Motorised scooters, mini bikes, motorised devices
Motorised scooters, mini bikes and other motorised devices

In NSW any device with a motor must be registered for use on a road or road related area unless it is specifically exempt.

Motorised foot scooters, miniature motorbikes (also known as mini bikes, pocket bikes or monkey bikes) and other motorised recreational devices do not meet minimum Australian design standards for safety and so cannot be registered. This means they must not be used on roads or in any public areas such as footpaths, car parks and parks.

There are heavy penalties for using unregistered and uninsured vehicles. Police can also seize and take possession of unregistered vehicles.

There are some retailers who sell these vehicles and fail to warn customers that they cannot be used on roads or in public areas.

The Fair Trading Amendment (Monkey Bikes) Regulation 2007 prescribes the minimum safety standard provisions for the supply of off-road monkey bikes in New South Wales. For more information about monkey bikes, go to the Office of Fair Trading website.

For more information about vehicle standards related to motorcycles, mopeds and power-assisted pedal cycles, see:

VSI 27 - Mopeds and motor-assisted pedal cycles, and
VSI 28 - Guidelines for modification to motorcycles,
available from the Vehicle standard information sheets section.

Exemptions

All devices with a motor that meet national design and safety standards must be registered for use on a road or road-related area unless they are specifically exempt.

Motor assisted pedal cycles with electric or petrol engines are exempt from registration, provided the maximum engine output power does not exceed 200 watts. These vehicles must have been designed as a bicycle - that is, to be propelled by human power, with the motor attached as a supplementary aid only. Riders must follow the same road rules as for pedal cycles without motors, including wearing a helmet.

Motorised wheelchairs and other types of disabled persons’ conveyances are exempt from registration and operators of these vehicles must comply with the same road rules as pedestrians. This is provided:

They are used solely for the conveyance of a person with a disability that substantially impairs the person’s mobility.
They are not capable of travelling at more than 10km/h.

Prohibited vehicles

The following vehicles (irrespective of the power output of the motor) are banned from use on roads or in public areas.

Motorised foot scooters (with or without a seat) – electric/petrol engine
Mini bikes or monkey bikes
Motorised human transporters such as the WheelMan, or SEGWAY
Motorised skateboards – electric/petrol engine

Files

Vehicle standards information sheets

Vehicle standards information sheets for vehicle owners and operators in New South Wales.

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
yea i know cauce that what the cops said and i looked the cheapest 200w electrical motor on ebay ans it was $600 I am keeping my china girl and going every now and then into the bush for a ride.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey again dan.
Yer iv been lookin at the ruels and its realy stuped, 1 state says u can ride 1 and another says u cant.
i dont get the logic, its either all YES or all NO.
the only problem with registering ur bike is it can only be registered if it passes a road worthy. and for this u need working brakes lights indicators.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
shizit. political action in the works guys? Time is right. All eco and economically correct at this time. DO IT! WIN/WIN

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? **** no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: *Let’s do it!!!! .rd.

I call for a million man ride on the capital! An annoying buzzing sound will be our battle cry! (I don't really know what the capital of Australia is, a lil help here?)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Regardless of anything else, the guy should have charges pressed against him for doing that. You can just run someone off the road because you don't like what they are doing....I persue the matter a little farther..(prosecutor, or police) I would go in to the police station, and (rationally, and quietly) explain what went on.

If he did that to you, imagine what else he may be capable of...

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
As Paul Harvey says, now for the rest of the story.......

The OP didn't mention here he is 13. Where are his parents in this? Did he tell them? If my kid was underage and threatened by an adult, I'd be sure to have the police on it right away.

Something tells me we are not hearing the whole story and giving legal advice to a minor over the internet is a sketchy endeavor.