Shift kit question

GoldenMotor.com

Taffy13

Sep 23, 2019
Hey guys, I'm new to motorized bikes, but not new to mechanics or bicycles.

I've been wondering if shifting without pedaling with a shift kit is possible if some kind of "neutral" was in place.
Basically the neutral would be the rear tire driving the chain rings that, would transfer the power to the actual gears so even while coasting the gears would still be turning allowing the derailleur to function while not pedaling but while still moving/ coasting.

I think this could be achievable by using a 3 ring chain ring with the pedals being free wheeled. Having the gear that would be "neutral" be 1:1 with the smallest chain ring and on an opposite freewheel from the cassette. This would make it so it could drive the chain ring however it couldn't be drivin by the chain ring

The gears would be normal with a standard freewheel so they couldn't be run by the wheel itself and throw the chain

Hopefully that makes sense, and yes I know its overly complicated.. but could it be feasible is my question.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
If you buy the Sick Bike Parts shift kit you won’t have this problem. The actual front pedal crank is a freewheel. Meaning pedals/cranks won’t spin under motor power and won’t throw the chain. While you are riding under motor power...you could pedal backwards . Why, because motor power is going to sprockets then gears . Pedals cranks is on a freewheel.

Taffy13

Sep 23, 2019
hmm, I know the kit has the freewheel and stuff, but I thought if the back wheel drives the chain it would throw the chain. because to use a derailleur the gears need to be spinning clockwise. also most cassettes have the hub so it cant go the other way

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Your chain will always be going the same direction (normal bike). Power is running through the same gears and derailuer. Only difference is motor hits higher Rpms and you change gears. Sorry I stink at explaining!

Reactions: Taffy13