shift kit on a full sus.

GoldenMotor.com

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
ok so i just got the sbp shift kit and decided to put it on a marin frs. still have to do a little tinkering but so far it is great. going to take it to work tonight and see how it does.

shift1.JPG
shift2.JPG

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Excellent!

I have been waiting for someone to do this. Trying to find a frame that will take a Chinese motor is difficult. Any details on your bike (year, model etc.) would be useful.

Congrats!

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Wow, excellent, now it has finally been used as intended. Up until now I have only seen 2 frames that are full suspension that the engine will fit the frame. Now I have seen 3. Yes please tell us what frame that is.

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
so far so good took it for a cruse yesterday after some more tinkering still dont like the twist shift tried the rapid fire off of my giant didnt like it also.
my friend has a push push shifter on his bike might have to find one of them and try it.

as far as the bike yes it is a marin all alu. frame i bought it off of ebay awhile ago for a lot less then the one that just sold. it was a bare frame the forks came off of a giant boulder that i picked up at a police auc. a few years ago.
the motor is an 80 bgf that i took off of the nishiki that i was riding.

the only prob. that i am having is the right side chain is rubbing the side of the tread, there is no way to move it back as it is a fixed rear mount.

later all
Kevin

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Kevin,
Can you explain, "the only prob. that i am having is the right side chain is rubbing the side of the tread, there is no way to move it back as it is a fixed rear mount"? Are you saying your bike chain is rubbing your tire? If this is the case I am wondering did you use the supplied spindle for the cranks? My other suggestion would be to remove some links from the bike chain to increase the tension. Since you no longer have to worry about the chain being able to use the larger and smaller front chainring you can get rid of some of the links. I think I took 4 out of mine.

Also curious what problems you were having with the twist shift and rapid fire? I have a twist shift and I love it.

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
sorry ment left side, it is fine when i am not on the bike but once i sit on it and the rear sus. engages the chain rubs. as far as the shifter i took the rapid fire off of my giant but didnt like the way it felt and the break leaver is riveted on and didnt want to mess it up the buttion tha when it is on the right side is then the index finger on the left cant reach it with the clutch in the way. the twist shift i took off of the sons moon dog it works but is a real cheap one might try a shram and see if it works better.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
does it have a model number? a search fro marin comes up with too many choices, none that i found match yours

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Kevin,
That make sense. Here is an option for you. If you can get a hold of some 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum you could try to make some spacer plates to go between the seat tube clamps and the rear motor mount plate. That would space your entire engine and jackshaft forward. I don't know if an 1/8 or a 1/4 would help but it couldn't hurt.

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
i have already thought about thati had to kick out the bottom almost a 1/4 of an inch. this frame may not be its final home i think i have an idea that would be sim. but using reaglur moto rear shocks had a kz650 that had coil overs that where adjus. dont see why something like that wouldnt work on something like thiscould even incorprate a rear rack.

just an idea but never now i have found 6 mt bikes out at are local dump that are free for the taking already asked. gives me a winter proj. like i need more anyway!!!!!!!

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
ok hap my first major problem with the shift kit tonight on the way home. hit a bump and the bike chain jumped the front sproket and wraped around the crank and killed the motor. have to look at it tomarrow and see what damage is done couldnt get it off where i was at. had to put it in the back of a friends car and bumb a ride home.

latter Kevin

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Kevin,
You might want to try removing a few links from your bike chain. Now that your chain doesn't have to have the length to make up for larger front chainrings it can be made shorter. I think I took 4 full links out of mine. This will increase the tension and reduce the chances of the chain coming off.

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
ok i removed 4 links and drove it around town before work everything worked fine then about 5 blocks from home it did it again i think i know what my prob. is the rear jumps from a 34 to a 23 tooth so when you down shift it has to do a big jump i am going to try a dif. rear gear set. i kinda like the 34 when you take off it almost jumps out from under you.

later Kevin

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Kevin,
I am also using a mega range rear cassette and I love it. I don't think that is your problem but then I am at a loss as to what is causing your problem. You might want to try a N-Gear Jump Stop. It is what will be standard on the kits in the future however I believe the aluminum one that comes with the kits is better at keeping the chain from jumping in general. It might not be large enough diameter to keep the chain from jumping in extreme bumpy conditions. If you are interested in getting one just email [email protected] and Pablo can get one to you.

kcmcf

Jun 9, 2008
Alliance,NE
did a little work this spring on my bike. added a tensioner to keep the jack shaft chain from coming off all the time and added a 12v battery and a 12v garden flood light for night driving. it has a 35 w bulb in it. the rear light runs off the bike. in the bag is the battery tools,spare gas in msr bottles and a rain suit seems like we have gotten a lot of rain here this year. always at night when i am coming home from work. still need to get a better shifter and find some type of mud guards. hit 36 mph on it 2 weeks ago and still had 3 gears left. have a expansin chamber to put on it yet.

1.JPG 2.JPG P1010005.JPG

still want one of those mornini's.
latter all
Kevin