Shift kit chainring spacing

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by ninjaplatypus42, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ninjaplatypus42

ninjaplatypus42 New Member

Basic 2 stroke with a SBP shift kit. For the second time the chain from the wheel to the pedal chainring came off towards the inside of the bike. The inner chainring is about in line with my third gear. Should i space it more to be in line with the second or first gear? Is there some other trick to keep the chain on? Thanks.

2. scratchbuilder

Take as many links out that you can. With chain on big gear 1st.. Shorten chain till derailer is almost at its limit. Your prolly jumpin chain in 4th?... I had to tighten my chain.. but not a guarantee..in the end I had to put a guide on the bottom attached to the kickstand bolt.

3. ninjaplatypus42

I'll do that. Do you have the normal two spacers on the freewheel or more?

4. scratchbuilder

Mine are 3/8 thick, hard plastic.

5. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

#5 Venice Motor Bikes, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  6. ninjaplatypus42

Yeah i have it on but there's only so much force something bolted to plastic with take before it gives :p I'm going to put more spacers as well i only have about 1/4inch worth of washers.

7. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Active Member

On my Staton Inc shift kit I use a front derailleur as a guide. You can use the high low adjustments to fine tune it.

8. ninjaplatypus42

Scratchbuilder tightening the chain definitely helped. I added about a quarter inch worth of washers for a total of about a half inch and it makes a world of difference. I top gear there's still half an inch of clearance between the wheel chain and the chain from the shift kit. I may even put more but I'll need longer bolts lol thanks guys

9. scratchbuilder

Good to hear. It's frustrating when things go wrong, but that's the challenge of this 'hobby'. If you find a internal geared hub, get it. I found mine at swap meets. 40$ for the whole bike.

10. ninjaplatypus42

Internally geared is the dream. Flea markets and the like are where I get my bikes. The one I just finished building is around 450 new and i got it for 5 bucks, not a scratch on it. Still haven't seen any internal gears but I'm always looking :p