GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What years were they made?
Kickback hub?
Value?

I got one at the flea market today. Rough, yet has character and patina! Rides really nice, needs a little TLC. I know it's missing the front and rear racks, the horn, headlight/rear reflector, correct seat and grips. Nice chrome on bars, wheels are a 3 out of 5, they are straight. The fenders are beat, but all the paint is original. The right side of the "tank" is rough. The chain gard is a 3 of 5.

May or may not motorize it.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Great find Joe!!

Vintage Bicycle Price Guide
oldroads.com - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles

Their are few web site's that also do vintage serial # search...I think the link above also has that....I had a few but don't know where they are right now. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have them for you if I can find them again.
:bike2:

Date codes....
The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange

Bunch "O" Bikes, Serial Number Page

http://johnsvintagebikes.com/dating/Schwinn_date_codes.pdf

I found that the Panther II came out in 1959.....found it here....
Classic Schwinn Bicycles - Google Book Search

It also say's " The later Panthers 1966-1970 had a simple painted chain guard with silk-screened logo"

Your tank look's close to the tank on the 59 from the pic from the link above..but it's hard to tell.

There's two pic's of the Panther II......http://motorbicycling.com/f15/archived-bike-pics-1774.html

From the pic's that I've seen 60-70 the tank's are diferent then your's. It's hard to tell from the pic's I've seen, but your tank look's closer to the 59...if it is you got yourself one heck of a find thier Joe..:D

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks for all the info and links guys!

Here's what I've got so far- Built April 1959.

Steering and front wheel bearings were dry- actually 50 years of dry crud/grease, but otherwise in good shape.
Some kind of kickback hub...doesn't have the color code stripes or the brake arm like the ones I've seen. Still looking into it. I did dismantle it (not too bad really) The center gear was wound waaaaay out of adjustment/alignment, and the whole hub had the 50 year crud too. Cleaned and greased it, put it back together, and it was 11:00 pm so I didn't test it. I will say when I was pedalling around before it seemed like it was geared low, so I'm guessing an under drive kick up to 1:1. There was that kind and one that went from 1:1 to an over drive.

I have a few more minor items to do to the bike, then re-assembly. I'll keep you posted as to what's what and how it goes.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
So it is a 59, wow, they say the 59 is really rare...I'll give you $36.95 just like the ad rotfl

I just noticed the bottom of the ad, who in the heck is Gene Aurty :confused:

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
sweet find.

How much did you end up paying for it?

It's amazing how much these vintage bikes go for these days.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Dang, now that's a steal. Considering I've seen vintage frames in similar condition go for $200 or so round here.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Update:

I got to cleaning the bearings, two speed hub and all the other stuff that needed to be serviced and since I am doing all that, I may as well remove and try to straighten the potato chip shaped wheels (can you say a half inch of run out? Knew ya' could) and rear fender a little too.

Thought I'd have it going by now, but I am (as usual) very far behind my ideal imaginary place of "caught up".

Maybe tomorrow, I'm going for a (motorless:confused:) bike ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
P.S.- I won't be adding a bicycle motor to this one- I don't think. Although I DO have a two bike deficit for the two 55cc kits I bought....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Finished putting it back together this after noon. Man, I didn't think I could get a wheel that true, especially when it looked like a potato chip to begin with.

I didn't do something right with the two speed kickback hub, it won't "shift".

Over all it's a nice bike to ride, everything is straight and rides smooth.