Saggy Chain Cause

Discussion in 'Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains' started by allen standley, Aug 20, 2017.

1. allen standley

I've been watching my chain stretch all season. Well It has not been the chain stretching at all. After a little investigation I made this discovery... Been running this particular motor in my Heavy Huffy 3 years. Worn Drive Sprocket.JPG Just in time I would imagine. Glad I got a spare. Everybody check on this from time to time or when convenient.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

been trying to keep unobtainable antique motorcycle sprockets from looking like that for years - sometimes a too-tight chain will do that, but it is usually caused by a chain that has worn to where the links have gotten longer than spec - three or four chain adjustments, then new chain

3. allen standley

Thanks Crassius I did a new chain too. Held at the end the old one reminded me of a kinda like a piece of jewlery. really loose like that.

4. redman

redman New Member

Newby here, I been riding dirt bikes all my life and yes chain and sprockets do wear out. They take one heck of a beating. First tell tale sign is very pointy (sharp) sprocket teeth.Glad you caught it before bad things happen.