Rubber mounted handle bars?

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Can anyone remember the first time you started your bike? Can you remember how the bike felt as you gripped the handlebars?
The reason I mention this is because I let a buddy ride my bike and that was the first thing he said " Boy it really vibrates the hands eh".
We all get used to it but I was wondering if anyone has ever rubber mounted the bars?
Custum mounts would be good but innertubes wrapped aroung the bar where it mounts would be helpful, I think.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
One of those Girvin suspension stems may help. There are always a few on EBay.
Handlebars need to be attached very securely for safety reasons, so I would be afraid to rubber mount them.
I really dig that jolt and vibration in the bars when the engine starts, but my hands get numb on longer rides. Cheers

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks, that was what I was hoping for! I had a look on the website and they go for about $80 US but on ebay they are around $40.
I'd bet this would solve the "numb" problem and I think I'll order one.
Thanks again wheelbender.

Attachments

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
the otherday i was rideing my bike and was on this long straight street with no cars so i thought " bugger this lets get this thing moving"
So i twisted the throttel as far bak as i could and the bike was moving the fastest i think its eva been.
the straight took bout 1min to complete and by the end my hands were sore from the vibration but felt sooooooo good.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I bet the lead shot would make my mirror work again. I think I can get lead shot at academy, they use it to reload shot gun shells for skeet shooters.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can even fill an old nylon stocking leg, or plastic bag with it part way, feed it down into the bars, and keep filling it if you are worried that the shot is going to 'escape".

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
If I ever get ran over and killed they will look at the wreckage and say "It was murrder, some one shot this guy before the wreck ever happened" :) Thanks for the tip I will go by academy and see if they have that shot.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hmm...that sounds like it could be a good idea. Would need lots of shot to fill the bars...

Might have to give that a shot one of these days. Wonder if anything else could be used. Do you think it's just the fact that the bar is filled, or would it be more because of the weight of lead?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gonna try the lead shot.

One thing I always try to do is have long or cruiser handle bars so that I am not leaning down on them. Still numbs your hands with 2 strokers.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I hear you there. I had straight mtb bars and that was terrible sometimes. I now have 3.5" riser bars, and that is nice. I haven't taken any super long rides yet though.