Rotten Orange build - Gary Fisher Aquila shifter buildup!

GoldenMotor.com

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I have no idea what this thread is about.

What's a shifter?

What's a shifter buildup?

Why should I know this?

ric

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
ricland, you posted this way back on the 5th page on 27 July 2008 of this thread. That gave you a month to read and know if you can or want to apply any of this treasure of info to your bargain Gary Fisher.
"$200?
You paid too much!
I got a Gary Fisher Ziggurat at a garage sale for $75!"

A bargain is partly in what you do with something as well as in the respect shown the seller so both parties benefit from the transaction.

datz510, your build is just too great. I will certainly apply some of this to making my SBP shifter kit when I build it. By the way I gave a motor to datz for mods and to trick out for better performance. I will need some of his touch just to keep up on our rides. But he measured the bore and stroke on a 80 and found that the real size is 47 cc. This is basically the Grubee imported motor so many are marketing as 80 cc. This piece of info makes this bike and so many others a legal size. The low end power you are getting from this same motor, will certainly allow better climbing of steep rocky and sandy slopes we will be riding out by Saguaro Lake and Four Peaks. I should have some preliminary photos of my build show up today.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
The bike wont be running tonight. I ran into some problems fitting the throttle cable, so had to order one for this twist throttle along with a lever for the choke.

Should be going sometime this week though. :) I can't wait to ride it!

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
ricland, you posted this way back on the 5th page on 27 July 2008 of this thread. That gave you a month to read and know if you can or want to apply any of this treasure of info to your bargain Gary Fisher.
"$200?
You paid too much!
I got a Gary Fisher Ziggurat at a garage sale for $75!"

A bargain is partly in what you do with something as well as in the respect shown the seller so both parties benefit from the transaction.
That's not what a bargain is at all.

How did you come by that definition?

ricland

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Hellava Read - Sweet Job Datz! Looking forward to the final road test. You've a similar mindset to mine own. Thorough planning & execution. It's good to hear tidbits of the east valley. I was raised there. Used to throw the Phoenix Gazette & the Arizona Republic for the entire town of Gilbert on my Western Auto 26" (1975). Not possible today. Worked at Apache Sands driving wreckers for many years back when they only had 2 trucks. I still have family in the area, be cool to hook up some year. BTW I'm putting a Cummins 4BT Diesel in a 88 Jeep YJ. Again a great build!

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Niiice.. 4BT is a great engine!

Tonight, I got all the cables installed & finished up. Now have a working throttle and choke!

I'm planning on test firing the bike tommorrow. Have to weld one bracket onto the exhaust to mount it and should be ready to start tuning.

Now I just need to find a jet drillset to fine tune the carb. :)

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I have been following this thread for awhile and I really like the work you have done. I'm excited that you will be finally firing her up!

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Finally fired it up last night!!

Started working on swapping jets out to tune the carb and while starting the bike, I managed to pull a wheelie in 1st gear. Was pretty crazy!

I will say that I'll be ordering a Dellorto PHBG today to try it on the bike. I found the SHA I couldn't get to idle at all, but it ran! Managed to run it through the gears a few times. The custom exhaust sounds fantastic. Actually pretty quiet, but has a great exhaust tone due to the expansion chamber.

The SHA and PHBG use the same main jets, so I wont have to buy another set of main jets to tune with at least. Unfortunately, I will have to build a new intake manifold for it, since I dont think it will fit where I have my current carb.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I had the bike running this last weekend, but had problems with the front freewheel. A new freewheel is on its way and should also be getting the PHBG carb in the next few days.

I'll keep everyone updated.

While I had it running, the bike was pretty wild. The exhaust note is absolutely fantastic. Slightly ringy but still a deep tone. Sounds like a high performance 2 stroke dirt bike. :) With the shift kit, it managed to pull a wheelie in 1st gear accidentally. I'm impressed with it & can't wait to ride it.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Accident, that was your pent up anticipation from working on such a cool bike for so long before cranking it up. It will be nice to get together and ride with sente, AzVinnie, justbill and any other locals we can drum up to ride together. I think you will get to lead the parade for a while.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Woohoo!!!! Success!

The Rotten Orange LIVES! AND, I managed to get the SHA carb pretty close to tuned. It actually works quite well. With some experimenting, I found that I had my jetting much too rich. I had a 75 jet in the 16.16 SHA. I found that the bike kept falling on its face above half throttle and was smoking too much, so I backed the jets off 5 steps at a time. Right now, I have a 60 in there and its pretty close to perfect. I may lean it out just a bit more, as its still smoking pretty good while on the throttle.

Its got enough power that I was able to hit nearly 40mph on the bike!! In 1st gear, it can pull the front wheel off the ground if you arent careful. The bike can *easily* keep up with traffic. Overall, the bike is incredibly smooth & handles very well. The Brooks saddle is wonderfully comfortable & soaks up all of the bumps in the road.

While getting the jetting right and riding the bike around the block, I also ended up destroying my first drive chain (from the engine to the jackshaft). It literally blew the masterlink apart... Happened to have a new spare, so got that in place & seems to be holding better.

I'll be taking some video shortly which will be available tonight.

I can't believe just how effortless this thing is going down the road.

Last edited:

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
()congratulations!!!(^) I've been folowing this thread since you started it, and I'm STOKED to see the videos and pictures of the finished product! (p) RIGHT ON!!! (c)

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here are some photos of the finished bike. I may still paint the exhaust, as it has a lot of bare welds on it. I think it looks pretty spiffy chrome though too:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
And now, here are some videos of the bike in action:

Idling, quick revving, and a quick idle adjustment:
http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/orange08.MOV

Here's the bike on the road. Shifting up through 6th or 7th gear or so. Havent been able to really wind it out to see how fast she'll go (need to get some real protective gear before I try that). Still gives you a good idea of how quick the bike is. It really scoots down the road! Much faster than I really want to be going.
http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/orange09.MOV

Pulling up to a stop sign, takeoff, cruise, and then I stall it at another stop sign. Doh!
http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/orange10.MOV

Still learning how to ride the thing. The shifter kit requires a completely different technique than a normal HT bike.