Robert Thumper

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MR.B.

Both builds are awsum, waiting for finish of this build. Am inspired to asemble my stretch cruiser with 140cc Honda clone. Thanks much for sharing.

Ron

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The hub is from a old Tomos moped, the 48t sprocket is off the shelf from a farm supply store.

Yes that is a BMX style freewheel- I simply cut the threaded side off of a bicycle cluster hub right at the spoke flange and welded it to the sprocket .

But first a recess was milled the depth and diameter of the flange on center to the sprocket to line things up.

-Kirk

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Yes kind of, I’m using a bolt on CVT and extending it’s axle to the right side.

I also added a additional pillow block bearing on the right side to help support the now longer than stock axle...

-Kirk

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
4-15-12 MOCK 3

I mocked up the Thumper again today, this time with the new exhaust & gas tank included. After just staring at it for a while I’m just not pleased with low slung “pregnant guppy” look of where the bottom bracket sits…

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
4-22-12 PREGNANT GUPPY ERADICATION

Decided to take the plunge and try to tuck the sagging bottom bracket up a bit. The frame was cut and a wooden jig was made to straighten out the lower stays. With the help of my largest pipe wrench it went pretty fast!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
6-27-12 EXHAUSTED,

I painted the exhaust pipe with high temp paint today, I had to bake in the oven to cure it. Smelly stuff, I hope it works well!

I also drilled the baffle and turned a gas pipe connecter fitting that will fit into a section of chrome closet rod “tailpipe” purchased from the local home improvement center…

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
7-6-12 MINI SHROUD

I started building a aluminum “mini-shroud” today. It has quite a personal connection as it was originally the saucepan from my bachelor days, and I’ve been married 25 years! Ha!
A wooden buck was made to shape the center hole roundover, then heavy to fine sanding to smooth things out.

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
7-29-12 TTT

Begin the construction of Robert’s triple trees today, It’s just for looks as it doesn’t really add any actual strength.
Thick aluminum sheet and a vintage bmx stem used to create the top plate.
Left over chrome closet rod is a close size match and freshly turned wooden plugs with threaded rod ties everything together. Rubber o-rings clean up the connection point.

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
8-8-12 BARRED

After trying several different handle bars on hand I ended up just buying a chunk of straight aluminum stock from the metal supply store. I think it gives it a nice aggressive drag bike look!

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
8-28-12 FAB’N & WELD’N

This is the last of the fabbing and welding to be done for Robert-T.
Tabs for chain tensioners were added, the drive chain one came from a old automotive alternator bracket and is pretty damn heavy duty!
I added a toolbox similar to Excalibur’s “gaslight reservoir”. It’s a bit heavy walled for the job but I had the tube on hand and having a place to store tools & the rope pull will be worth the extra weight!
The original nut for the pull start and a 5/8” bolt were turned so they fit together tightly & perfectly centered for welding. Later I’ll tap and notch a hardware store pulley to attach here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
9-28-12 COVERED!

Worked on the seat today! I always envisioned a tooled leather seat cover for R-Thumper but had never actually tried carving it before.

I bought a inexpensive punch kit on Ebay but didn’t realize how important the missing swivel knife was going to be as I struggled with a old chisel I had quickly modified for the job.

I’m not 100% happy with the results but will keep it as a reminder of the learning curve, the next one will be better!
But I was happy with how well the wetted leather formed to the old children’s riding tractor seat pan!

Attachments

Last edited: