Rim Width??

GoldenMotor.com

davla

Oct 22, 2018
What width rims are people using on their Board Track bikes? The guy who's building my wheels usually uses 31mm on the beach cruiser bikes that he builds but I'm thinking that it's a bit narrow and that 1 3/4" might be better? I'm going to fit either 2.1 or 2.35 wide Schwalbe Fat Frank tyres if that's any help.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I use 2" x 2.125" inch wheels & I've used 2.235" fat Frank tires on them as well. With this combination of tire & rim width chain clearance is really tight on some standard cruiser width frames. The extra length of the Sportsman type hub sprocket adapter helps, but going with the 2.1" tire makes a big difference as well. Remember that all sizes of tires look and are wider when mounted on wider rims in order to clench and seal as they move laterally under air pressure.

Hope this helps. I fought tire to chain scrub on my first build with wide tires and wheels so it's wise to build with this in mind.I think most of us like the wider setups look & with wider frames it's possible to go much wider in the rear but most of the commercial forks are tight at 2.5" or even less. The tire and wheel sizes I've mentioned in my builds run on the most popular choices of commercially built vintage style forks with no problem, especially if you don't plan on running a front fender on the bike (board track style).

I look forward to seeing your build as it progresses.

Rick C.

Reactions: davla

davla

Oct 22, 2018
Cheers Rick, I think I might go for 2.1" Fat Franks to be on the safe side. Do you use any particular manufacturer/model of rim?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Workman is highest quality & the components are rugged. I've had good luck with Staytru as well; they are significantly less expensive, but not as heavy duty.
It is really difficult to suggest component parts without knowing for certain the frame and engine types. I've guessed you are using a China girl motor and an off the rack cruiser frame, but if this isn't so you should fillin some blanks first & it will aid forum members in responding to your future inquiries. We like to help, and having specific info helps us do just that. Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

davla

Oct 22, 2018
Cheer Rick

I haven't actually built the bike yet, I've got most of the parts I need for a dry build apart from the wheels. I've got quite a few different projects on the go at the moment so I'm keeping this quite simple.

I'm just using a Chinese frame with separate fuel tank with a Chinese 80cc (66cc) engine, Monark II style forks, Brooks Flyer saddle, Sturmey Archer XL-FS front hub brake with an S1C coaster on the rear, black rims and cream Schwalbe Fat Frank tyres. It'll probably be similar to this Sportsman Flyer but in a board racer style:

https://sportsmanflyer.com/shop/motorized-bicycles/sportsman-flyer/

Having said that I saw this online the other day and the attention to detail is amazing:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1912-indian-inspired-board-track-racer.20837/

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sounds a solid project for the parts mentioned and 2.1"on wide rims should pose no real problems.

Photo of my Excelsior Schwinn frame & China girl motor setup.
Rick C.
0807171211-960x1280.jpg

davla

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah that's the same frame as I've got. Did you say you're got a S1C rear brake on that?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Keep in mind that when you use super wide rims & tires, not only will you have problems with the rear sprocket being able to move out far enough for the chain to clear the side of the tire, but you'll also have to offset the engine so that the engine sprocket will be in line with the rear sprocket!!

If both sprockets aren't in line with each other, you might have problems with the chain popping off at high speed. :(

davla

Oct 22, 2018
Keep in mind that when you use super wide rims & tires, not only will you have problems with the rear sprocket being able to move out far enough for the chain to clear the side of the tire, but you'll also have to offset the engine so that the engine sprocket will be in line with the rear sprocket!!

If both sprockets aren't in line with each other, you might have problems with the chain popping off at high speed. :(
Thx for the advise. What size rims would you recommend for my set-up? i.e. same frame and engine as pic above. Using a Sturmey Archer S1C rear hub will mean I have to either modify the sprocket that comes with the kit or use a CNC sprocket and hub clamp from Sportsman.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thx for the advise. What size rims would you recommend for my set-up? i.e. same frame and engine as pic above. Using a Sturmey Archer S1C rear hub will mean I have to either modify the sprocket that comes with the kit or use a CNC sprocket and hub clamp from Sportsman.
If you want to use super wide rims?, just use regular cruiser tires... (26X2.125).
If you really want to use the Fat Frank tires?, use regular cruiser rims. ;)

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Remember I had to struggle to find chain to tire clearance using Fat Franks with the wide rims? The Fat Franks sit really wide on the wide rims. Venice has a lot of experience with many types of cruiser frames, being a commercial builder & he's giving some good insight derived over many years of building bikes that his customers can live with on a day to day basis, with the least hassle. I only build for myself & have stopped using Fat Franks on standard width frames with wide wheel, because I got tired of spending time realigning everything each time I removed the rear wheel. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a brilliant idea. I'm currently running a Fat Frank & wide wheels on my Simplex build but it has a custom built wide frame and a custom built, wide leaf fork.

Venice mentioned keeping straight chain lines in a previous post & this is so important to drive train life and that includes chain breakage & being stranded on the side of the road. I've never broken even a kit chain running a China girl, but I'm a fanatic about keeping the chains straight & properly lubricated, Add to that wheels that run true & chains shouldn't be much a problem. I'm getting close to 500 hours of mixed riding on one of my bikes running a China Girl motor and the original chain is still good. Rick C.

These bikes are super fun to ride, but if you are constantly fussing with poor choices made during construction the bike quickly looses it's appeal.

Rick C.

Reactions: davla and fasteddy