Riding safety and making yourself highly visible.

GoldenMotor.com

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Its something that we all must take into consideration and be mindful of... Not being road kill!

I have found that my front rim light is invaluable as far as making my presents known AND looks pretty snazzy if I do say so myself.

Anything you can do to help others keep you safe is your responsibility and duty...

I added a string of little l.e.d. lights I scavenged off of an old office desk top Christmas tree and well... you can see for yourself... Is good.

Anyone else got any diy light set ups to share? I'd like to see them if you care to share!

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Though my state Tennessee doesn't require them, I have a daylight visible brake light and daylight visible front/rear signal lights. I have a pedestrian bell on the left handlebar and a loud horn that can be heard in a closed compartment vehicle on the right handlebar. I also have handlebar mirrors.

In all states in the USA you must have a head light and at least a red rear reflector when riding at night.

I like sharing these 3 videos as well. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denis Zen

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Many years ago I tried putting a lot of fancy lights on our bikes, but I quickly found that the lights couldn't take all the high speeds & vibrations... I was spending more time fixing the broken lights than I did actually fixing the bikes!

The factory bicycle reflectors actually work very well at night & there are also tires that have a reflective white wall that works well.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Many years ago I tried putting a lot of fancy lights on our bikes, but I quickly found that the lights couldn't take all the high speeds & vibrations... I was spending more time fixing the broken lights than I did actually fixing the bikes!

The factory bicycle reflectors actually work very well at night & there are also tires that have a reflective white wall that works well.
I use wireless LED's, rack mount 4 strokes tend to have less vibration issues.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Its something that we all must take into consideration and be mindful of... Not being road kill!

I have found that my front rim light is invaluable as far as making my presents known AND looks pretty snazzy if I do say so myself.

Anything you can do to help others keep you safe is your responsibility and duty...

I added a string of little l.e.d. lights I scavenged off of an old office desk top Christmas tree and well... you can see for yourself... Is good.

Anyone else got any diy light set ups to share? I'd like to see them if you care to share!
Yes it's most important to be seen at night.
Sometimes I get nervous because cars will pace me just to watch my wheel lights change colors. They change 6 different colors.
But it's always fun to wave at their smartphone camera as they finally pass me

Attachments

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Though my state Tennessee doesn't require them, I have a daylight visible brake light and daylight visible front/rear signal lights. I have a pedestrian bell on the left handlebar and a loud horn that can be heard in a closed compartment vehicle on the right handlebar. I also have handlebar mirrors.

In all states in the USA you must have a head light and at least a red rear reflector when riding at night.

I like sharing these 3 videos as well. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first.

Thats you? This is one of the very first videos I watched when I got my bike! Im gonna like and subscribe the next time im on yt.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021

Ive seen those tires and I want some!

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Yes I'm lucky with light's on a Whizzer Their powered by a 12v 1.5ah battery supported by a 85w stator under the flywheel.
Basically a modern 138cc Whizzer M/B has a 150cc Gy6 electrical system

The headlight has a high and low beam. I added the small lights
I have wireless synchronized turn signals/ brake lights, redundant head lights. ( Bike has 6 volt magneto stand alone coil with 12v cree light, bike computer has super bright lamp with fog lights and my helmet has a forward pointing light.) And my rim light. Im getting the valve stem lights next at the local auto parts store. =)

I got one of 64 led light bars for the front rim. Ive been working on some new graphics for it as I dont want to advertise for KFC and McDonald's... But the program is kind of lame and tedious so its slow going.

Reactions: wrench

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Speaking of lights, has anyone successfully been able to wind a 6 or 12 volt coil add-on for their lights? I've scoured this website and I cannot find anyone that speaks about doing it successfully. I'm in the midst of building it and I'm going to post my findings on the windings...nyuk nyuk nyuk!

So far I found out that you need to use 0060 gauge wire and it needs to be wrapped about 2,000 times and it has to be insulated between each roll of wraps. Im using an old magneto coil frame to wrap it around. I will keep you guys posted.

Reactions: Tyler6357

dusan

Aug 2, 2021
I use 2 bike mounted tail lights one with blinkers, tail lights and brake lights and I keep a red flashing light mounted to the back of my helmet. Beyond that if I know I am going to be riding a heavy traffic road I will don a high visibility road construction style vest with reflector tape

Better to look like Larry Daryl and Daryl in their orange vest apparel than to look like a pizza in the middle of the road

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
I use 2 bike mounted tail lights one with blinkers, tail lights and brake lights and I keep a red flashing light mounted to the back of my helmet. Beyond that if I know I am going to be riding a heavy traffic road I will don a high visibility road construction style vest with reflector tape

Better to look like Larry Daryl and Daryl in their orange vest apparel than to look like a pizza in the middle of the road
Good deal bro, every little bit helps!

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I have wireless synchronized turn signals/ brake lights, redundant head lights. ( Bike has 6 volt magneto stand alone coil with 12v cree light, bike computer has super bright lamp with fog lights and my helmet has a forward pointing light.) And my rim light. Im getting the valve stem lights next at the local auto parts store. =)

I got one of 64 led light bars for the front rim. Ive been working on some new graphics for it as I dont want to advertise for KFC and McDonald's... But the program is kind of lame and tedious so its slow going.
The more lights the better, your gonna have to make a video so we can see all your lights.

Those rainbow color changing wheel lights I have on my bike I got at Wallmart
There just suppose to slip in between the spokes but I put little holes in em and zip tied em on or else they would fly off at M/B speeds. The wafer battery in them seems to last forever as I've only changed the batteries once in 10 years.

I know there for little kids but I love those lights on my bike.
I never had anything like that when I was a kid, but I got some now LOL

Reactions: Denis Zen