rear wheel has bad wobble. do I need new wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

jerry campo

Sep 24, 2018
My rear wheel has developed a bad wobble, so bad that i couldnt even ride the bike anymore. I took it to a mechanic thinking it was the hub, and he said i just needed an adjustment. When he was done with the adjustment, there was still a wobble and he said it is because the spokes are damaged beyond repair. Do i just need to get a new wheel? or does all of this sound bogus to you guys? if I do need a new wheel, what are my best options? something that will last long. thanks in advance.

jerry campo

Sep 24, 2018
so they seem to have fixed the wheel by doing some more adjustments. I put the wheel back on but the cassette got stuck and no longer rotates, so I cant pedal. I can use the motor just fine, but i have to push off the ground with my feet in order to gain speed and start the bike. How did the cassette get stuck? and how do I fix it?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
First you need to determine what kind of hub you have a freewheel or a cassette; they aren't the same thing.
w6ueV.jpg
freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

Then you either need to replace the screw on freewheel or replace the cassette hub. Freewheel axles are prone to bending. This may be the reason your wheel has a wobble. You can get a cro-molly axle which are harder to bend. I personally recommend getting a double walled rim and a cassette hub.

Last edited: